St Mary's Building of the University of Sunderland

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208574

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1994

Statutory Address: St Mary's Building of the University of Sunderland, Hind Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of St Mary's Building of the University of Sunderland
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:30:02.

Location

Statutory Address: St Mary's Building of the University of Sunderland, Hind Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 39189 56806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3956NW HIND STREET 920-1/19/114 (West side) 10/11/78 St Mary's Building of the University of Sunderland GV II (Formerly Listed as St Mary's Building of Sunderland Polytechnic) (Formerly Listed as:HIND STREET (West side) St Mary's School)

Shown on O.S. as St Mary's School. Originally infirmary; Primitive Methodist College until c1880; later St Mary's Roman Catholic school; in use as a polytechnic building at the time of listing. 1822-3. By Ignatius Bonomi. Pediments added c1900. Brick in garden wall bond (5 and 1) with painted ashlar plinth, rusticated quoins and dressings; graduated Welsh slate roof. Right return and rear limestone rubble. C20 small rear brick additions. 2 storeys, 2:5:2 windows, the end pairs projecting under later pediments. Wedge stone lintels and projecting stone sills to tall windows, now with 3 pivoting 6-pane lights; keyed architraves to round windows in pediments. Moulded eaves cornice. Central painted stone panel, inscription lost, on first floor. Low-pitched H-plan roof has inserted ventilators. Left return has 3 windows; steps up to central door in plain doorcase. Right return has C20 door. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1983-: 27; Potts G).

Listing NGR: NZ3918956806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391494

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 27

End of official listing