Canada House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208597
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
Canada House, 3, Chepstow Street, Manchester, M1 5FW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Canada House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 18:54:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
Canada House, 3, Chepstow Street, Manchester, M1 5FW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 83944 97678

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/02/2019

SJ8397NE 698-1/31/51

MANCHESTER CHEPSTOW STREET (south side) No.3, Canada House 20/06/88 GV II Packing warehouse. 1909, by W and G Higginbottom. Cast-iron frame with steel truss roof, the north, south and west sides with cladding of buff glazed terracotta (roof concealed). Trapezoidal plan on island site. Art Nouveau style.

Five storeys with basement and double attics, a ten bay west facade with slender piers finished as octagonal pinnacles with domed caps, cornice to ground floor, modillioned cornice to third floor, and separate cornices in each bay of fourth floor; segmental-headed ten-light windows at ground floor with transoms arched in the centre lights (forming a wave-like line along the whole), except for small doorway in sixth bay; first, second and third floor windows set in giant segmental-headed arches, with moulded enrichment to the panels between the floors, those at first and second floors mostly coupled cross-window casements but with shallow canted oriels in the second and third, fifth and sixth, eighth and ninth bays, and those at third floor with glazing matching that at ground floor; three-light windows at fourth floor, sashed with glazing bars in the upper leaves, with cornices and stylised segmental pediments with triple-keystones; two-tier attics, the upper tier set back.

Slightly convex four bay north facade in matching style, but with main entrance in third bay: round-headed arch in neo-Baroque style, with lion-mask keyblock, fine Art Nouveau wrought-iron gates and inner doors; curved left corner, and one-bay return along rear in same style and materials; south end also in matching style. Rear consists of iron frame with octagonal piers and glazed panels, and includes loading doorway with wall-crane. Interior not inspected.

The architects are Walter Higginbottom (1850-1924) and George Harry Higginbottom (1852 - ). These are not to be confused with William Herbert Higginbottom (1868–1929), who was born in Leeds but moved to and practised in Arnold, Nottingham.

Listing NGR: SJ8394497678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387999
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06534/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].