CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1208624
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY, CHURCH WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:31:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stowmarket
National Grid Reference:
TM 04920 58680

Details

STOWMARKET

TM0458 CHURCH WALK 614-1/4/40 (North East side) 28/07/50 Church of St Peter and St Mary (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH WALK Church of Saints Peter and Mary)

GV I

Parish church. Mid C14 nave, aisles and chancel. West tower mid C15 (`new' in 1453), clerestory and north and south porches also mid C15. Spire re-built 1712. Restored 1825, vestry added 1855, tower restored 1894, spire removed 1975. Flint with ashlar dressings under slate roofs. 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses and 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated flushwork parapet. Stump of octagonal copper-clad spire formerly with balcony. 6-bay south aisle fitted with 3-light Flowing tracery windows between stepped buttresses. North aisle outwardly of 7 bays owing to addition of east chapel: similar 3-light Flowing fenestration. 4-light aisle west windows, the north aisle also with 3 cusped roundels beneath. Clerestory windows of double cusped lancets. Tall crenellated south porch with flushwork arcading and diapering and niches left and right. Similar north porch. 2-bay chancel fitted with 3-light C14 Flowing tracery windows and a 5-light Reticulated east window. INTERIOR. 7-bay arcade consisting of 4-lobed piers with keels to the north side and fleur-de-lys piers on the south with mushroom capitals. Triple-chamfered tower arch and wave-moulded chancel arch, the latter on lobed piers. The roofs are boarded. Four C15 bench ends remain, the remainder 1837. East bay of north aisle with a monument under a crocketed ogee arch, mid C14. North aisle with wall monument to Margaret English, 1604: high-relief figures of Margaret facing husband, 7 sons and 5 daughters across a prayer-desk; 2 Renaissance arches with putti heads on rear wall. Wall monument to John Gilbert, 1641. Alabaster and marble. Predella and apron below figures of Gilbert and wife framed by pair of Corinthian columns below broken segmental pediment. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Suffolk: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 443-444).

Listing NGR: TM0492058680

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384564
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 443-444

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00543/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George C Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].