OLD VINEY BRIDGE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208670
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1974
Statutory Address:
OLD VINEY BRIDGE MILL, SOUTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD VINEY BRIDGE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 03:25:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD VINEY BRIDGE MILL, SOUTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST4486209176

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4409 SOUTH STREET 876-1/7/161 (South side) 06/09/74 Old Viney Bridge Mill

II

Mill. Late C18/early C19 with later C19 additions. MATERIALS: limestone rubble with slate and pantile roofs. PLAN: linear plan at an almost right angle to South Street with former engine house flanked by workshops for weaving etc. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; the (north) left-hand range of 6-window range has a Ham Hill stone Tuscan doorcase with an open pediment, ornamental fanlight and 2 raised and fielded panels of a former 6-panel door; all the windows have gauged segmental stone arches; cast-iron frames of 5 rows of 7 panes to the ground floor, C20 casements to the first floor. The engine house, attached to the right of 2-storeys, one-window range, with C20 high sliding double doors with fixed 8/8 window immediately above. To the right of the engine house is a 5-window range; 4 similar cast-iron windows and some C20 to first and ground floor. The next late C19 range is single-storey; 6-window range with segmental brick arches under wooden lintels and cast-iron frames similar to the first range. C20 doors, one to the far right, and the inside right window is raised above a door. To the right is a cottage with a datestone of 1793, probably repositioned, in the right gable end below a brick stack; the facade and eaves level is continuous with the range to the left but the roof is separate and more steeply pitched over 2 storeys; one-window range. The window to the right-of-centre of the first floor is a 3-light casement at eaves level, the 3-light casement below is under a wide gauged segmental arch, the doorway to the left, now a window, has a flat arch. A mid C19 range to the far right, with a pantile roof, is 7-window range with 4 large plates to tie-bars between the floors, double doors to both floors to left-of-centre and a lower, pantiled-roofed loading bay to the left. INTERIOR: the engine house has a 2-storey arched recess to a former flywheel in the left-hand wall and an early C19 queen post roof structure; heavy beams to floors supported by later C19 cast-iron columns. HISTORY: an early watermill existed near this site before the present structure which became the centre of a cottage industry and community producing webbing for girths, etc. The production of webbing, sailcloth, hair seating and later shirts was the dominant industry in Crewkerne, girth-web weaving being documented from 1698. This factory was set up in 1789 by Samuel Spark (d.1827) a Crewkerne solicitor, and Bartholemew Gidley (d.1812). (Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.21).

Listing NGR: ST4487609155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390441
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 21

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12354/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].