BAPTIST CHURCH CHURCH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208708
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HALL, SPRINGFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH
CHURCH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208708 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 13:33:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HALL, SPRINGFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilfracombe
National Grid Reference:
SS 51784 47570

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 HIGH STREET 853-1/6/83 (South side) Baptist Church

GV II

Includes: Church Hall SPRINGFIELD ROAD. Baptist Church and Church Hall (originally the schoolroom). 1891 by WH Gould of Ilfracombe. MATERIALS: Church fronted with pinkish, squared Combe Martin stone with dressings of Bath stone; minor detail in polished red granite. Church Hall of rougher local stone rubble with dressings of limestone (much of it painted) at the front, and of red brick at the back. Asbestos slated roofs. PLAN: deep, narrow-fronted plan, apparently with side aisles. Church Hall abuts left-hand side, at rear end. EXTERIOR: Gabled 2-stage front in austere Perpendicular style, its most striking feature an octagonal limestone pinnacle at left-hand side. In centre of lower stage is a doorway approached by a flight of bowed steps; the doorway has a pointed arch springing from polished granite columns, the spandrels carved with foliage. At either side is a 2-light window with pointed arch, and above it a similar, taller window of 5 lights. Memorial stone dated 26 March 1891. Long ranges of wooden clerestorey windows in side walls, those on right-hand side with pointed arches. Church Hall is 6-windows-wide with Norman-style doorway, re-used from the former chapel, at right-hand end; above it is a round-arched window set under a gable. To left of doorway are 5 more tall, round-arched windows with 5 flat-headed windows above. Memorial stone dated 26 March 1891. INTERIORS not inspected, but in 1891 the Ilfracombe Gazette mentioned the marble baptistery in front of the preaching rostrum, and the organ by Messrs Vowles of Bristol. In 1937 Allen T Hussell commented on the open hammerbeam roof. (North Devon D.C. Planning Department: Book 2 (microfilm): Ilfracombe Local Board of Health Planning Register 6.1.1891; Planning File on microfilm (not checked); Ilfracombe Gazette, Arrival List and General Advertiser; Hussell AT: Ilfracombe Chronicle, 25.6.1937: 2).

Listing NGR: SS5178447570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390222
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Ilfracombe Chronicle' in 25 June, (1937), 2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05710/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].