Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208739.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 22:42:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Brentwood (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 57139 93798



TQ5793 WEALD ROAD, South Weald 723-1/16/298 (South side) 21/10/58 The Tower Arms Inn


Public house. Dated 1704. Red brick with chequered burnt headers, hipped, peg-tiled roof with deep modillioned eaves cornice and prominent stacks on end walls. Rectangular plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storey and attics. N front elevation, 5 bays with string course between ground and first floors and chamfered plinth. Central front door and pedimented dormers with casement windows, 2x3 panes, over bays 2 and 4. All other windows are C19 mullioned and transomed casements with glazing bars, 2x3 panes, gauged brick voussoirs, shaped over central first-floor window. Front doorway, panelled pilasters with capitals, pulvinated frieze cornice, hood on carved console brackets, lugged architrave, door with 8 panels, lower 6 fielded, upper 2 now glazed. Above, datestone, initials, L above, AA below and 1704. S, rear elevation rendered and colourwashed, 5 bays, all windows have early C18 frames with moulded architraves and mullions and transoms with C20 replacement casements with glazing bars, 4x6 panes. Ground floor, central doorway , flat hood on shaped brackets, door, 4 lower flush beaded panels, upper 2 glazed. To W deep C20 ground-floor extension. To E window with lower casement now plate glass. First floor, 4 symmetrical windows and a central stair window dropped to half storey height, 2 gabled dormers in bays 2 and 4 with 2-light casements, 4x3 panes. E end elevation, brickwork and roof as front, central C19 door with wooden porch, door, 2 lower flush, beaded panels, upper 2 glazed. First-floor window above, C19 2-light casement set in C18 aperture, with central glazing bars, 2x2 panes. Large central stack above with 2 recessed panels. W end elevation, bricwork and roof as front, 3 bays with 6 symmetrical window apertures with gauged brick voussoirs, outer 4 blind, inner 2 blocked, early C18 stack as on E elevation, but upper part is C20 rebuild, more slender and plain. INTERIOR: original central dogleg, close string staircase and dado, with ground-floor stair arch, with shaped handrail, rises to attic, balusters alternating, turned and twisted. 2 ground floor rooms at W end with original panelling. S room of pair has original fire surround with well moulded lugged architrave. A photograph, kept at the inn, taken about 1903 shows the original casement windows with small leaded panes. Luptons (qv), Wealdcote and granary (qv), The Cottage (qv), The Post Office (qv) and the Tower Arms form a group. (RCHM: Central and SW Essex : Monument 10: 217).

Listing NGR: TQ5713993798


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 217


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15888/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Pepper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].