GILES COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208740
Date first listed:
13-May-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
GILES COTTAGES, 1-4, ONGAR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GILES COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 20:19:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
GILES COTTAGES, 1-4, ONGAR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Stondon Massey
National Grid Reference:
TL 58646 00247

Details

STONDON MASSEY

TL50SE ONGAR ROAD 723-1/1/539 (West side) 13/05/75 Nos. 1-4 (consec) Giles Cottages (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD ONGAR ROAD, Stondon Massey Giles Charity Almshouses)

II

Terrace of 4 cottages. C16, early C19, 1860, C20. Plaque on N gable records `The gift of Henry Giles of Stondon Parish 1574, enlarged and repaired 1860'. Red brick, Flemish bond with some burnt headers, pantiled roof. Rectangular plan, principal range with conjoining cross ranges at rear W side, all in block form. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. E front contrived to be almost symmetrical yet to provide appropriate windows and doors for the inner units. Clasping giant pilasters with simple capitals at N and S ends. All windows of elevation are C19 2-light cast-iron casements with 6x4 panes in each light and Gothic cusping and 2 centred arches to the top panes. Ground floor windows are set in triangular arched brick window heads, 6 windows set in between 3 central porches of timber on brick base piers with shaped barge boards and pendants in flat tiled gables. Doors, heavy boarding with ornamental `C' strap hinges and 4 upper lights. Doorheads triangular arched. Arrangement, N-S, 2 windows, porch with door, window, porch with window, window, porch with door, window. First floor, 5 windows with flat heads set above those below except for the central one in porch. Roof has three regularly spaced stacks, rectangular, each with diagonally set shafts. The N and S end elevations are almost identical with porches (as at front) for doors of Nos 1 & 4 projecting from the gable ends and shaped barge boards and triangular recess above doors with inscription at N, blank at S. Rear extensions 2 storey, rear edge of main range and W end of extension defined by pilasters. Extension, ground floor, at S end, some C19 brickwork with burnt headers but whole rear section reworked in C20. Door to W, as front doors but porch heads supported on braces from wall. To E, window on ground and first floors, C20 wooden casements with leaded lights in triangular heads to imitate C19 ones. Rear W elevation, 4 conjoined gabled bays, C20, doors and windows made in approx style as C19 ones. Ground floor, 2 central doors (no porches) triangular headed doorways, doors boarded, 4x4 paned leaded lights, Gothic arched tops. On each side one casement window, 2-lights in triangular arched head, 6x4 leaded panes. All other windows are 4-light casements under triangular heads. Ground floor, 2 in outer bays, first floor, 4 windows, one in each bay. INTERIOR (1) Original principal framing of C16 survives at rear with top wall plates level with lower part of first floor front windows, rafter seating regularly spaced. (2) Walls subsequently raised in timber to present height in primary bracing with slender studs typical of early C19. (3) Walls skimmed with brickwork and rear extensions, 1860. (4) C20 rebuilding of rear range. The early fireplaces are narrow with high timber lintels designed for raised hearths. Lintels are reused timber. Fireplaces probably of the early C19 improvement.

Listing NGR: TL5864600247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373813
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16500/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].