THE COLONNADE AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208848
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
THE COLONNADE AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN RAILINGS, 414-420, HOTWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COLONNADE AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:57:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COLONNADE AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN RAILINGS, 414-420, HOTWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 56580 72835

Details

BRISTOL

ST5672NE HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells 901-1/13/1464 (East side) 08/01/59 Nos.414-420 (Even) The Colonnade and attached front garden railings (Formerly Listed as: HOTWELL ROAD (North side) Nos.414-420 (Even) The Colonnade)

GV II*

Terrace of 4 houses. 1786. Built by Samuel Powell, not completed. Brick with limestone dressings, brick party walls stacks and a pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. Each of 2 storeys; 3-window range. A concave crescent of 2 near-symmetrical pairs has the first-floor projecting on a Tuscan colonnade with a timber entablature, stone cornice and parapet, the ground floor set back and articulated by fluted timber pilasters to the openings. Each pair has an outer entrance with 6-pane overlight, reeded transom and 6-panel door, the upper 4 raised with cut out corners; fluted sill band below two 8/8-pane sashes. Projecting first floor has 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes and wrought-iron basket baconies with arched railings and quatrefoils. No.418 has a later attic storey set back. No.414 is wider with a third ground-floor window to the right and 4 first-floor windows. INTERIOR: ground floor with full-width front room, an open flat arch to a raised rear room, and a side dogleg winder stair with stick balusters and a ramped rail. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron spear-headed railings and gates to flagged pavement below the colonnade and to the front garden. HISTORICAL NOTE: erected by Samuel Powell as a row of shops, not completed, for visitors to the hot wells. A unique arrangement in Bristol. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 213; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 438).

Listing NGR: ST5658072835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379824
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 213
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 438

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01414/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Joy Roddy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]toricEngland.org.uk.