THEAKSTON'S CARLISLE BREWERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208869
Date first listed:
29-May-1987
Statutory Address:
THEAKSTON'S CARLISLE BREWERY, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THEAKSTON'S CARLISLE BREWERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:35:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
THEAKSTON'S CARLISLE BREWERY, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39522 56057

Details

CARLISLE

NY3956SE BRIDGE STREET, Caldewgate 671-1/6/60 (North side) 29/05/87 Theakston's Carlisle Brewery

GV II

Brewery, now part being converted to Hall of Residence for University of Northumbria. Early and late C19 for the Carlisle Old Brewery Company, possibly with some C18 fabric; later alterations and additions. Red brick with Welsh and Lakeland slate roofs. 5 parallel ranges, tower and chimney. The ranges are of 3 storeys, presenting 5 gables to the river. Various largely altered openings. The gables, of which the 2 to the left are larger, have multi-brace king post truss infill and are surmounted by gabled vents. The tower is of 4 storeys with plain openings and a pyramid roof, with a gabled dormer to each face and a decorative iron fence to the apex platform. Tall stone stack of tapering square section. Away from the tower the elevations have many segmental-headed windows with stone sills and there are a number of altered doorways. INTERIOR: Little remains of the buildings' original interior. There are 3 ranges of wide-span king post roofs at right angles to the river. These are bolted and strapped with iron and are of C19 date. HISTORY: The brewery opened in 1756 as Atkinson and Son, and some buildings, although apparently not these, are shown on the City Plan of 1794. The core of the present building is shown on a plan of 1864 in Cumbria County Record Office (Ca/E4/889). The present buildings were largely erected by Sir Richard Hodgson whose brewery it was until nationalisation in 1916 when it became the brewery for the Liquor Control Board, later the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme. It was de-nationalised in 1971 and sold to Theakston's in 1974. After being left derelict for some years, approval was given for a substantial part of the C19 section of the Brewery to be demolished and the remainder to be refurbished. It is evident that many of the present buildings were developed as maltings and adapted to brewing. Included partly for historic interest.

Listing NGR: NY3952256057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386639
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16110/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].