- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208885 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:38:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Teignbridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 79988 72655
SX 77 SE
7/24 Church Hall
Church hall, formerly the church school and schoolmaster's house. Built in 1848; toilets added at rear in late C19 and 1970s. Stone rubble, with dressings of Devonian limestone for the quoins and for the relieving arch of the east window; oolitic limestone for the surrounds of windows and doorways. Late C19 toilet of yellow brick. Asbestos-slated main roof; corrugated-asbestos roof on lean-to at right-hand end. On right-hand gable a stone chimneystack having twin shafts with chamfered outer angles and shaped limestone tops. A similar stack is said to have stood originally on the centre of the ridge. On left-hand gable is the stone base of a former bell turret. Plan consists of the school hall to left and the schoolmaster's house of 2-room plan to right; hall has entrance-porch in front, the entrance to the house being in a lean-to against the right-hand gable-wall. Latterly, at least, the infant school is reported to have occupied the left-hand ground-storey room of the house. Hall is single-storeyed and house 2-storeyed with single-storeyed entrance-porch. Hall has no windows in front wall, simply a small buttress at each end and the entrance porch slightly off-centre. Porch is steeply gabled, its doorway with a 2-centred arch having a blank tablet above it; door is of diagonally-set planks with long wrought-iron strap-hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals. In left-hand gable-wall is a large window with chamfered surround and straight hood-mould; 3-light wood casement with 2 panes per light. Above it (lighting upper part of hall) is a similar 2-light window, but with the hood-mould removed. The schoolmaster's house, which is slightly taller and is set back a little, is 2 windows wide. Ground-storey windows have chamfered surrounds and straight hood-moulds. Upper-storey windows are steeply pitched dormer gables containing 2-light wood casements with pointed heads to the lights. Windows in both storeys have diamond-shaped leaded panes. Entrance-porch to right has chamfered, shouldered-head doorway; door consists of diagonally-set planks. 2 windows in right-hand side-wall of porch, both having chamfered jambs. Rear wall of hall has on east a large window with chamfered jambs; 3-light mullioned-and- transomed casement with small panes. To the west of it is a window with chamfered jambs and straight hood-mould; 3-light wood casement with 2 panes per light. Rear wall of schoolmasters house has at west end of ground storey a window with chamfered jambs and straight hood-mould; 2 light wood casement with diamond-shaped leaded panes. In upper storey 2 dormer gables matching those at the front. Interior not inspected. Sources: White's Directory of Devonshire, 1878, p.148. Information from Mr R Laskey, the sexton.
Listing NGR: SX7998772656
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Directory of Devonshire, (1878), 148
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.