CHURCH OF ST THOMAS AND ATTACHED HALLS AND WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208932
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS AND ATTACHED HALLS AND WALLS, ST THOMAS'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS AND ATTACHED HALLS AND WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208932 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 15:22:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS AND ATTACHED HALLS AND WALLS, ST THOMAS'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31536 86264

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3186SE ST THOMAS'S ROAD 635-1/24/827 (East side) Church of St Thomas and attached halls and walls

II

Anglican church. Dated 1888 on many rainwater heads, and completed in 1889. Designed by Ewan Christian, built by Dove Brothers; additions and alterations of 1901 and 1904, the latter by Edward Street. Church hall probably of c.1880. Red brick set in English bond with stone dressings, roof of slate. Chancel and nave under a single roof, north and south aisles under their own pitched roofs, narthex and baptistery, vestry and church halls, bellcote. Gothic style. All windows to the church are lancets with chamfered reveals. East window of three stepped lights under a continuous hoodmould; one window to south side of chancel. The south aisle has a canted apse with four windows and seven windows on its south face, six in pairs between buttresses, one next to a gabled south porch which has a pointed-arched entrance with an inner order, hoodmould and wrought-iron gates; cornice of bricks set at an angle; the north aisle has five windows set between buttresses and, at its east end, a single-storey porch range with a pointed-arched entrance and one flat-arched three-light window with parapet over. Apsidal baptistery and narthex, the baptistery having five windows, and the narthex three to each side under a lean-to roof, and a pointed-arched entrance with an inner order under a hoodmould to either end; three gables to the west end above, four-light window, the two central lancets higher, and two-light windows to the aisles, all with double-chamfered reveals and grouped under hoodmoulds. Small hall to south-west corner, now roofless, with a pointed-arched entrance under a hoodmould to left and a flat-arched window to right with three lights and one transom, and a single-light window with one transom on either side, stone-coped parapet. Timber bellcote at the junction of chancel and nave with pyramidal roof. Church hall at south-east corner with pointed-arched windows of three lights with geometrical tracery in the east and west gabled ends. INTERIOR: . Generally of brick, though the brick is painted in the chancel and baptistery, as are the columns of the nave. Chancel and nave under one roof. East window flanked by columns engaged at shaft rings; sedilia, under pointed arches and divided by a column, to south side of chancel; arches to either side of chancel, the organ in that to the north and that to the south filled with a parclose screen; choir stalls removed; patterned encaustic tiles to chancel floor; low wall dividing chancel from nave with an iron screen above of 1920 supplied by Wippells, pendent rood of 1922 supplied by Burnes and Oates. The pulpit is square in plan and carried out from the low wall on two columns. Nave of three bays, the Purbeck marble columns with roll-moulded capitals carrying pointed arches of moulded brick with an inner order and a hoodmould running continuously from the chancel over the arcade, and then over the three-bay arcade of the baptistery. Boarded roof over nave and chancel, deeply coved above the wall plate and then pointed-arched in section, with corbelled ribs; dormers at junction of chancel and nave. South chapel with low wall and iron screen, probably of c.1920; segmental-arched entrance in south wall of south aisle; moulded sill band to windows which have deep embrasures; pointed-arched entrance to west end. At the east end of the north aisle is a pointed arch to the organ chamber, and two pointed-arched entrances, that to the porch under a segmental arch; pointed-arched entrance to west end. Circular font in baptistery on a green marble base surrounded by pink marble columns with original wooden and wrought-iron cover. East window by C.E.Kempe; six lights in the south chapel and five in the baptistery, by Clayton and Bell. C. 25 metres of wall parallel to the north aisle, another c.25 metres in Monsell Road, and c.40 metres in St Thomas's Road: red brick with plinth and coping of black brick; three pairs of gate piers in St Thomas's Road and one in Monsell Road, square in plan with one course of stone and stone coping and finials, now much decaded. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3153686264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369329
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02990/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].