CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1209005

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE, STRETFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 01:22:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE, STRETFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 61865 73956

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW STRETFORD ROAD, St George 901-1/56/1846 (South side) 04/03/77 Church of St Ambrose

GV II

Church. 1912-13. By WV and AR Gough. Squared red Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and tile roof. PLAN: aisled nave with S tower and porch. EXTERIOR: Free Gothic Revival style. Irregular limestone quoins and rubble arches above the openings. E gable has a window with Perpendicular-style tracery and blind panels at the bottom; clasping rubble pilasters with angle buttresses, terminating in crenellated pinnacles with spirelets, and cross finial. 9-bay N aisle has 2-light windows linked by hood bands, separated by buttresses with square, panelled, crenellated caps. Clerestory has segmental-arched windows and buttresses to a parapet with crenellated turrets and spirelets at either end. 2-storey SE chapel has chamfered mullion windows and a S gable with 3-light windows separated by a wide string. S aisle as the N. 3-stage tower in the centre of the S side has corner buttresses and a doorway with rounded reveals; above it a dragon-head corbel bears a slender, diagonally-set buttress; louvred belfry windows with blind panelling, corbel table and a crenellated parapet with pinnacles. W narthex has side doors, buttresses and a crenellated parapet, and a central doorway flanked by detached shafts; tripartite segmental-arched W window, with thick mullions to buttress pinnacles. Over the chancel arch is an octagonal leaded lantern with a small dome. INTERIOR: wide chancel of 3 bays divided by moulded pilasters on carved corbels. 3 sedilia. 7-bay nave of pointed arches on shafts with attached shafts to plain capitals, with continuous half-shafts to the wagon-vaulted nave roof; 3 arches with rounded reveals lead to the narthex. FITTINGS: stone pulpit, altar rail and lectern. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 329).

Listing NGR: ST6186573956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380636

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 329

End of official listing