MONKWEARMOUTH MUSEUM OF LAND TRANSPORT WITH WALLS, FOOTBRIDGE, WAITING ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209029
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
MONKWEARMOUTH MUSEUM OF LAND TRANSPORT WITH WALLS, FOOTBRIDGE, WAITING ROOM, NORTH BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONKWEARMOUTH MUSEUM OF LAND TRANSPORT WITH WALLS, FOOTBRIDGE, WAITING ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209029.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 12:40:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONKWEARMOUTH MUSEUM OF LAND TRANSPORT WITH WALLS, FOOTBRIDGE, WAITING ROOM, NORTH BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39610 57671

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3957 NORTH BRIDGE STREET 920-1/11/160 (West side) 08/05/50 Monkwearmouth Museum of Land Transport with walls,footbridge,waiting room (Formerly Listed as: NORTH BRIDGE STREET (West side) Monkwearmouth Museum of Land Transport and Screen walls to the Museum)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Monkwearmouth Station NORTH BRIDGE STREET. Railway station, now museum. Main building and screen walls 1848 as branch terminus of the Brandling Junction Railway for the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway Co. Footbridge added when line extended in 1879. Rear screen wall supported original train-shed roof, now removed. Passenger waiting room on W platform added 1879. Station closed 1981. Sandstone ashlar station building with Welsh slate roof, cast-iron footbridge with stone side steps and wrought-iron side handrails, wood and glass passenger waiting room. Classical style. EXTERIOR: Station: has 2-storey, 3-window centre, one-storey 2-bay wings and two windows in projecting end pavilions with quadrant end bays. Central prostyle pedimented giant Ionic tetrastyle portico. Architraves to double panelled doors and sashes with glazing bars. Floor band. Flanking set-back sections have scroll brackets to cornices on architraves of panelled doors in inner bays and windows in outer with bracketed sills; cornice and blocking course continuing from floor band of centre. Similar sills and lugged architraves to windows in projecting end pavilions with paired Tuscan pilasters flanking front windows and fluted Greek Doric columns flanking windows in recessed quadrants with triglyph frieze to entablature. Roof over centre runs back from pediment and has panelled corniced ridge chimneys. Similar chimneys on low-pitched side roofs. Footbridge and wall: Long arcaded screen wall runs N and S, curved at S alongside entrance drive, some arches have C19 wrought-iron railings. W screen wall 1848: ashlar. High screen wall with moulded cornice and plain pilasters extends the length of the W platform and abuts, at S end, part of former goods station wall. Footbridge attached to rear of station; 1879 for North Eastern Railway. Scroll brackets support cast-iron arched bridge with diagonally-braced parapets. Ashlar side steps attached to station and rear screen wall, treads repaired in rough-textured concrete, have wrought-iron handrails attached to walls. Bridge has wood steps and footpath, iron handrails boxed-in. Passenger waiting room: on W platform: walls boarded below and glazed above, with upper glazing bars, half-glazed doors, and fret carved canopy valence to Welsh slate roof added after train shed roof removed. INTERIOR of station shows booking office installed 1866 and restored to condition of 1905; windows with panelled shutters. Curved windows in quadrant sections have lost curved glass; all windows have shutters. Some fires obscured by museum displays, one revealed in booking office. Upper floor formerly station-master's house. W waiting room has boarded dado with wooden benches attached, cast-iron fireplace with reeded pilasters and lintel below sloped coping with central NER monogram. George Hudson, the railway entrepreneur, was chairman of the railway company which built the station and had been elected M.P. for Sunderland in 1845. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1983-: 18; Tyne and Wear County Council Museums: The Tyneside Classical Tradition: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1980-: 25; Hoole K: Railway Stations of the North East: Newton Abbot: 1985-: 82; Sinclair NT: Railways of Sunderland: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1986-: 24, 45).

Listing NGR: NZ3961057671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391540
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 18
Hoole, K , Railway Stations of the North East, (1985), 82
Sinclair, N T, Railways of Sunderland, (1986), 24, 45
'Laing Art Gallery Catalogue' in The Tyneside Classical Tradition, (1980), 25

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03181/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].