ST GEORGE'S CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1209193
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
ST GEORGE'S CHURCH, ARRETON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST GEORGE'S CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:50:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST GEORGE'S CHURCH, ARRETON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Arreton
National Grid Reference:
SZ 53443 86761

Details

ARRETON

SZ58NW ARRETON STREET 1353-0/2/39 St George's Church 18/01/67 (Formerly Listed as: SOUTH ARRETON Church of St George) I

Parish church. C11 nave and part of chancel, north aisle of c.1200 altered C15, South aisle, west doorway and clerestorey C13, late C13 chancel including chancel arch and 3 bay south chapel. Upper stage of tower and angle buttresses C15. South porch C16. Some restoration c1885. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with ashlar quoins and tiled roof. Nave with north and south chapels, chancel with south chapel, south porch and west tower. West tower has Norman lower part and C15 upper part. 3 stages with late C15 ashlar angled buttress. Crenellated parapet. Top stage has 2-light mullioned bell opening with wooden louvres and 1 lancet. 2nd stage has 2-light mullioned window. 1st stage has C13 arched doorway. South porch is early C16 moulded stone parapet with sundial, arched doorway with hood moulding and angled buttresses. Ribbed barrel vaulted ceiling. Nave of 3 bays. South aisle has 2 cinquefoil-headed windows with drip moulding above and 1 hipped dormer with 2 light wooden window. North aisle also has 2 cinquefoil headed light windows with dripmoulding above and arched doorcase. Cross shaped saddlestone of 1885 on gable end which has stone coping and kneelers. South chapel has 3 late C13 pointed arched windows with 2 lancets and circular window above (original unfoiled) with thin shafts with capitals. East window has Geometrical window of 3 pointed lancets with 3 circles above. Cross-shaped saddlestone to gable end. Chancel has 2 late C13 Geometrical windows with double lancets and circular window above. Small round arched Norman window in north wall. East window has Geometrical window of 3 lancets and 3 circles. Stone coping, cross-shaped saddlestone and buttresses. Interior: Nave has C11 west doorway with window above it. North aisle of c.1200 has round piers and square abaci with chamfered corners. One capital has scalloped decoration. South aisle has round abaci and double chamfered arches. Early C13 clerestorey of quatrefoiled circles. Probably C17 nave roof in 7 cants with chamfered beams having lambs tongue stops. Under the dormer is a double trefoliated window now blocked by north aisle. Font is Victorian copy of a Norman one. Pulpit is dated 1925 but appears to have reused Jacobean fragments. South aisle roof has C15 ogee-shaped brackets but C19 roof. East wall has a C13 fragment of a Christ in Majesty in an elongated quatrefoil, possibly from a tympanum. Royal Arms. Wall tablet to Henry Roberts (d. 1754), heart, cherubs, shield and bows and a series of C19 wall tablets. 2 bassalt floor slabs. North aisle has curious 1 or 2 tier brackets supporting purlins and principal rafters, probably C18. Marble wall plaque with draped urn to Mrs Mary Hill d.1792. Wall plaque to the Rev. Sir Henry Worsley Esq. (d.1811) by Sir Richard Westmacott, a figure by a tomb flanked by angel and eagle. Wall plaque to Sir Leonard Thomas Worsley Holmer (d.1825) by J. Haskoll 1829, a seated woman and 2 children in antique costume grieving by an urn. Wall monument to Richard Fleming Worsley Holmes Esq. (drowned 1814) by Sir Richard Westmacott, a relief of a female figure grieving with a wrecked ship on the right and a broken anchor on the left and shells below. South chapel has C19 roof and brass plaque to William Serle d.1595. Chancel has C13 chancel arch with ribbed columns the corbel heads C19. C19 roof. C19 stone and marble reredos with 10 commandments, creed and Lord's Prayer. This church is one of 6 island Churches bestowed by William Fitz Osborn on his Norman abbey of Lire, c1150 it was given to Quarr Abbey. (Hampshire and The Isle of Wight: 730 AND 731; V.C.H. Vol. V: 148).

Listing NGR: SZ5344486760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392632
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 148
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 730, 731

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12356/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].