- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- GOTTEN MANOR, GOTTEN LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209206 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 16:34:47.
- Statutory Address:
- GOTTEN MANOR, GOTTEN LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SZ 49042 79050
SZ47NE GOTTEN LANE 1353-0/5/74 Gotten Manor 15/10/86
House with linked former brewhouse and dairy. C17 on older site and possibly older foundation with alterations of c1730, 1800 and 1854. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with red brick dressings and slate roof. House to west of 2 storeys and attics. 3 windows, flanked by a 1 storey link block of 1800 and brewhouse/dairy of 2 storeys. House has late C18 red brick dressings and casement windows on 1st floor of 1854 with marginal glazing and gables with fretted wooden bargeboards and finials above. Ground floor has 3 French windows also of 1854 with marginal glazing. Gable ends with kneelers and end brick chimneystacks. Catslide roof to rear, part C17 or C18 the remainder to west Mid C19 and 3 mid C19 casements to rear. 1 storey link block has French window to south in brick surround with marginal glazing, to north. 6 panelled door, the top 2 panels glazed, modern porch and C19 casement to right. Brewhouse/dairy has to south 1930s 4-light casement and French window to ground floor. North front has flight of 7 stone steps curved at ends leading to upper floor and projecting dairy of C18 date. House contains early C18 winder staircase with 2 panelled doors leading off. (some on the ground floor with strip added in centre to make them appear 4 panelled). Ground floor west room has stone fireplace of mid C17 type with elongated spandrels and central keystone, but this may be early C18. 1st floor has 2 panelled doors and spine beams with beaded sides. 1st floor right hand chamber has 2 chamfered beams with run out stops and C17 stone fireplace with cambered top. Roof has staggered purlins with run out stops. Link block has fine lead water pump with date 1800 and the initials J.W. and a moulding of Diana the huntress with hunting dogs, original wooden pump handle and stone trough. Early C19 cast iron firegrate in room here. Brewhouse/dairy has an ovolo moulded arched doorway of c.1600 leading from the link block. Large stone open fireplace with cambered arch in 3 pieces, breadoven and circular lead lined copper to right hand side. Large chamfered spine beam with lambs tongue stops one end and run out stops the other. Flastone floor. To north dairy has a stone floor and wooden tongued and grooved shelving. Easternmost room had been used as stabling. 1st floor has C18 softwood roof with staggered purlins and rafters and traces of lath and plaster. One room has been used as a carpenter's shop and it may earlier have been used as sleeping accommodation for hired hands. This is an ancient manorial site recorded in Domesday Book, with a description of the building of the time in an inquest report on the death of William de Goditen of c.1305. In 1313 the owner of Gotten, Walter de Goditen was arraigned as a result of the shipwreck of "The Blessed Mary" carrying a cargo of white wine from Aquitane to England, which was removed by local men. He was fined 287 1/2 marks and a local record of 1323 records that Walter gave to the Church "an acre of land with buildings on St. Catherine's Day. On this land was built St Catherine's Oratory, a scheduled ancient monument. The owner of the house in the mid C19 was W H Dawes, nephew of the notorious Sophie Dawes later Baroness of Foucheres. (C W R Winter: The Manor Houses of The Isle of Wight: 61 - 65; Isle of Wight County Records Office: V.C.H.: 238).
Listing NGR: SZ4904279050
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 238
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight61-65
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.