NEWTOWN TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1209336

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: NEWTOWN TOWN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTOWN TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209336 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 17:44:38.

Location

Statutory Address: NEWTOWN TOWN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calbourne

National Grid Reference: SZ 42370 90564

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALBOURNE

SZ49SW NEWTOWN 1354-0/2/133 Newtown Town Hall 18/01/67

GV II*

Former Town Hall, now owned by National Trust. c1699 with late C18 alterations. 3 sides are red brick, the 4th side is yellow brick. Hipped tiled roof. South front has stone end quoins, 2 round-headed windows with intersecting glazing bars and late C18 wooden porticos with 4 Tuscan columns and dentil frieze. 6 panelled door, the top 4 panels fielded, the lower 2 flush. East front has no windows but a projecting brick chimneystack. West front is in English bond and has 4 tall round-headed windows with stone architraves, keystones, impost blocks and intersecting glazing. Basement has 4 original wooden casements with leaded lights on pintle hinges. North front is of yellow mathematical tiles in Flemish bond with early C18 stone doorcase with moulded cornice and 6 panelled door and flight of stone steps with iron handrail. Basement has late C17 chamfered stone doorcase with wooden 6 panelled doors. Interior has Council Chamber or Court Room with early C18 panelling and 2 panelled doors with deep fielded panels. Iron firegrate. Mayor's Parlour and Robing Room to south. Early C19 cast iron spiral staircase leading to basement. A town named Francheville existed on this spot in the Middle Ages, to which Aymer de Valance, Bishop of Winchester 1250-62, granted a Charter of Incorporation. This was confirmed by Edward II, Edward IV and Elizabeth. In 1377 the town was totally destroyed by the French, and thereafter the new town which replaced it was renamed Newtown. Queen Elizabeth granted it the right to return two Members of Parliament. By the C18 the place had dwindled to a village and was one of the "rotten boroughs" disenfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. Among the Members who had represented it were John Churchill, later Duke of Marlborough, in 1678 and George Canning in 1796. The former borough is now only a very small hamlet.

Listing NGR: SZ4237090564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 393023

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing