THE GEORGE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209432
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE HOTEL, QUAY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209432.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 13:44:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE HOTEL, QUAY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Yarmouth
National Grid Reference:
SZ 35390 89762

Details

YARMOUTH

SZ3589 QUAY STREET 1354-0/10/381 (North side) 18/01/67 The George Hotel

II*

Hotel, formerly mansion. c.1700-1710. Built by Henry Holmes. Governor of the Isle of Wight as the Governor's house on the site of a former governor's house, built after 1669 by Sir Robert Holmes. It was converted into an inn in 1764. South front stuccoed on ground floor and roughcast above, west front painted brick with hipped old tiled roof with 2 tall brick chimneystacks. 2 storeys and attics. 7 windows to south front and 6 windows to west front. South front has 2 hipped dormers. Sash windows, mainly 16-pane early C19 type but some with horns. An old early C19 print shows the windows were originally casements opening at the bottom. Wide eaves cornice with guttering decorated by lion's head masks. Stringcourse and plinth. Central early C19 doorcase with dentilled cornice and pilasters. Rectangular fanlight with Gothick glazing. Modern door. West front has 2 hipped dormers with casements. 1st floor has 4 early C18 windows with thick glazing bars. To north and east is an extension of 1898, stuccoed with tiled roof and brick chimneystacks and sash windows in keeping with original part. Interior has hall with fine early C18 well staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread, scrolled tread ends, column newel and marquetry inlay. 2 tall staircase windows and early C18 panelling. Bar has cambered brick fireplace flanked by pilasters and a bolection moulded fireplace and deep fielded panelling with dado rail. Dining Room also has deep fielded panelling and dado rail. No 7 bedroom has fielded panelling and dado rail similar to the Dining Room. No. 8 bedroom has bolection-moulded fireplace. Passage has marble fireplace. One of the grandest town house interiors in the Isle of Wight. (Pevsner: B O E Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 777; C W R Winter: Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: 157).

Listing NGR: SZ3539089762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393275
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 777
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight157

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/10653/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].