METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING SCHOOLROOMS AND HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209480
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING SCHOOLROOMS AND HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING SCHOOLROOMS AND HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:20:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING SCHOOLROOMS AND HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS 45164 26574

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 HIGH STREET 842-1/5/140 (South side) Methodist Church including schoolrooms and hall

GV II

Methodist church. 1912-13. By W Beddoes Rees of Cardiff. Front of rough-faced, grey and brown coursed Welsh stone rubble with dressings of limestone (probably Bath stone). Side and rear walls rendered; dressings of limestone and cream brick. Slate roofs with pierced red crested ridge-tiles. Cream-brick chimneys at rear. Church oblong in plan with galleries on north, east and west sides. Schoolrooms behind, and then the hall, lying at right-angles to the church. Arts and Crafts Gothic style. Front consists of a gabled centrepiece flanked by octagonal buttresses, these rising almost level with the apex of the gable. Lower battlemented wings at either side with steeply-pitched hipped roofs facing sideways. Centre has moulded doorway with pointed arch; double plank doors with ornate iron handles and strap-hinges. Flanking the doorhead a band of limestone panels with pointed, cinquefoiled arches, the second panel from each end glazed. In the upper stage a large, traceried 7-light window with pointed arch; mullions flanking the 3 centre lights are developed into buttresses which cut through the hood-mould and turn into 6-sided shafts; these then rise above the roof-line and are finished with capitals and scroll-buttressed finials. In the centre of the gable is a niche with cusped ogee arch; above it on the point of the gable is a large foliated finial; the octagonal buttresses at either side are banded with limestone, having limestone tops with trefoil-headed panels and ogee caps with ball-finials. The wings have plain, tapered ashlar diagonal buttresses: doorways and doors similar to those in the centre; in the upper stage bands of traceried windows, 5 lights at the front, 3 at the sides. Across the base of the front a series of memorial plaques in blue Forest of Dean stone. Side-walls of church have cream-brick buttresses; 2 rows of 2-light limestone windows with blind trefoiled arches to the lights. Windows at both front and sides have patterned coloured glass. Windows of schoolrooms and hall are mostly plain with cream-brick surrounds. West gable-wall of hall (visible from Providence Row) has doorway and door similar to those at front of church. Stone window above with pointed arch; 2 mullions and patterned coloured glass. Mock timber-framing in apex of gable. Plain bargeboards. INTERIOR: very well-preserved. Galleries on cast-iron columns with moulded caps; bowed, patterned cast-iron fronts. From the side-galleries rise further columns with foliated caps, these supporting 4-centred arches carrying the main roof. Ceiling barrel-vaulted with panelling on both ribs and spaces in between. Apse has piers with moulded imposts from which springs a 4-centred arch, the piers with traceried Gothic panels. Elaborate Gothic and Georgian-style wooden rostrum. Screen to vestibule and several doors half-glazed with patterned coloured glass. Schoolrooms not inspected in detail, but they include 2 staircases with turned balusters. The memorial stones were laid on 26 June 1912 and the church was opened on 2 July 191 (Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1912-1913: 2.7.1912; 10.12.1912).

Listing NGR: SS4516426574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375851
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 2 July, (1912)
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 10 December, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00025/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].