Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209543.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2021 at 02:40:42.


Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 56709 72829



ST5672NE PRINCE'S BUILDINGS, Clifton 901-1/13/929 (South West side) 08/01/59 Nos.1-10 (Consecutive)


Includes: No.16 (PART) THE PARAGON Clifton. Terrace of 5 attached pairs. c1796. By William Paty. Rendered with limestone dressings, brick party wall and lateral stacks, and pantile and slate mansard roofs. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. Originally paired 3-storey houses with outer doorways, linked by single-storey blocks, articulated by pilaster strips with a plat band, cornice and parapet; Nos 7 & 8 formed the centrepiece with a pediment across the party wall and a relief of the Black Prince and Prince of Wales' feathers. Doorcases have pilaster strips set forward to a cornice, semicircular-arched doorway with a fanlight, and 6-panel door, the top pair glazed. No.1 has a single-storey ashlar porch with a cornice, and the left-hand block is part of No.16 The Paragon (qv). 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-panes to the second floor, single 8/8-pane basement sash, and single dormers with paired 2/2-pane sashes; No.1 has a shallow 2-storey bow with triple 6/6-pane sashes and fluted architraves, and slate to the lower section of the roof. No.3 has triple horned ground-floor windows to the side block. No.4 has a second storey added to the right-hand block, with a raking parapet, and an oculus to the second floor. No.5 has a second floor to the side block as No.4, and plate-glass sashes. No.6 has a single-storey banded porch with a moulded coping, recessed doorway with a rectangular fanlight of 3 circles and 8-panel door with roundels; right-hand block extended to the full height. Nos 7 & 8 have full-height side blocks; No.8 has an 1830 Grecian single-storey porch with paired pilasters, cornice and raised central panel with fan reliefs, rectangular overlight with batswing fanlight, and 8-panel door with roundels. Nos 9 & 10 have full-height side blocks, the inner pilaster removed from No.10, both with porches as No.8 and 2-leaf doors with single panels. INTERIOR: entrance halls with dogleg stairs to the front with stick balusters, ramped rail and curtail, stone fire surrounds, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters. Designed as a terrace of 7 pairs and known as Prince of Wales' Crescent. Although the link blocks have been altered, this terrace is a significant example of the so-called "quasi-semi-detached" form of terrace, first appearing on the 1794 map of the Eyre estate in St John's Wood, London: it achieved greater popularity in the Regency period, as at Lansdown Place in Cheltenham. Nos 3, 4 & 5 were listed on 4.3.77. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 224; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 224).

Listing NGR: ST5670972829


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 224
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 224


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06229/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].