Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209558.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 02:30:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Islington (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31652 84049



TQ3184SE TERRETT'S PLACE 635-1/53/837 (West side) 29/09/72 No.3 (Formerly Listed as: UPPER STREET No.3 (TERRETT'S PLACE))


Single house, now terraced. The front of the house of 1720, the back of 1750. Brown brick set in Flemish bond with red brick dressings, timber-framing to north-east corner, roof of tiles. In plan, the house has broadly one room to the front, of 1720 and one to the back of 1750, and the staircase in the middle. Three storeys, one-window range, with later buildings blocking the right-hand half of the street facade. Flat-arched entrance with moulded wooden doorcase, panelled door and overlight; a bracketed canopy with modillion cornice breaks back between the brackets and continues over the window, a 6/6 sash in a flush frame. Segmental-arched window with gauged red brick head to first floor, with flush frame and 6/6 sash; on the second floor a segmental-arched window under a gauged brick head, probably of late C19 or early C20 date; this part of the front rebuilt; red brick dressings to quoins at first-floor level; parapet. The rear elevation has a pair of sash windows to the ground floor divided by a broad mullion and having thick glazing bars, possibly reused in 1750; above these, a two-storey canted weatherboarded oriel having dentil and modillion cornices to both floors and replacement sashes; single-storey C20 addition to right. INTERIOR: . Entrance hall with dado rail, side passage to rear with panelled dado. Ground-floor front room has plank-and-muntin panelling which forms a partition to staircase passage; timber framing visible in the north-east corner of this room extends the full height of the house. Well probably of pre-C18 date in staircase passage. Ground-floor back room has unmoulded panelling, moulded plaster cornice, fireplace surround with beaded ornament and separate mantelshelf. The staircase, built round a conduit, has moulded risers; C18 turned newel and balusters removed for repair. First-floor principal front room has moulded panelling, moulded plaster cornice, and fireplace surround of C18 date with grooved ornament and a keystone of ogee profile. The smaller first-floor front room has panelling awaiting re-erection at time of inspection. The first-floor back room has a moulded dado rail, elaborate plaster dentil and modillion cornice, and a fine rococo chimneypiece of c.1750 with foliage consoles, scrolling foliage surrounding a bird on the lintel, and eared and shouldered overmantel frame presently removed for repair; original shutters to bay window. On the second floor a casement, presumably of pre-C18 date, is now blocked up in the present bathroom; there is plain panelling throughout, the two back rooms partitioned by panelling, that to the south having a moulded plaster cornice, that to the north an original fireplace surround and mantelshelf. (Andrew Byrne: London's Georgian Houses: London: 1986-).

Listing NGR: TQ3165284049


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Byrne, A, Londons Georgian Houses, (1986)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12522/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].