Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of KINGS WESTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209729.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:09:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 54173 77481



ST5477 KINGS WESTON LANE, Shirehampton 901-1/24/1742 (South West side) 08/01/59 Kings Weston House


House. 1710-25. By Sir John Vanbrugh. Altered 1764-75 by Robert Mylne. For Sir Robert Southwell. Limestone ashlar, ashlar ridge stacks, roof not visible. U-shaped double-depth plan. Baroque style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 7-window range. An attached portico of 6 giant Corinthian columns, paired at the ends, steps forward at the top of a flight of steps, with flanking projecting ends, a cornice band under the attic storey, and a string below a full-width parapet with large, flaming corner urns; the small, central pedimented doorway has tapering pilasters and 2-leaf half-glazed door. The portico windows have semicircular heads and bracketed cills, with 6/6-pane sashes, and a lunette in the pediment; the ends each have 2 windows with segmental heads and flat surrounds. A chimney arcade of square stacks linked by semicircular arches and an impost band follows the plan of the house. The SE front has a central section with steps up to a tripartite rusticated Doric doorcase with a wide, shallow pediment, alternate vermiculated jambs to a C19 8/8-pane and flanking plate-glass sashes, with a large key rising through the open entablature; above is a large window with a cornice on scrolled brackets, flanked by semicircular-arched windows. Above the modillion cornice the attic string is broken by a keyed, semicircular-arched window, below a raised, bracketed parapet. The NW front has a slightly projecting centre with a c1770 canted bay. The plainer rear NE elevation has a deep recess, reduced by Mylne, and the chimney ranges turn in on themselves. INTERIOR: decoratively almost entirely of Mylne's re-modelling, 1764-8, with plasterwork by Thomas Stocking. The front Stone Hall or Saloon has a flagged floor, plaster surrounds with garlands to portraits, and a palmette frieze at the height of the pedimented doorcases, which have half Ionic column jambs, and a grey marble fireplace by Derall. The rear Stair Hall is the most unaltered part of the interior, ground-floor semicircular-arched wall niches, with paintings of 1719-20, and doorways all round, and a very fine hanging open-well staircase to the first floor, with turned balusters, fluted newels, curtail and ramped rail; open galleries to the first and second floors and 9 late C18 roof lights; a fine early C18 timber fireplace with fluted Ionic pilsters and blue tiled back. Most of the other rooms have neo-classical plaster decoration of the Mylne period. Original vaulting to the basement. HISTORICAL NOTE: built for Sir Robert Southwell, on the foundations of the existing manor house, by George Townesend. One of Vanbrugh's smallest houses, yet achieving a monumental effect of great compression and tightness. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 469; Architectural History: Downes K: Kings Weston Papers Catalogue: 1967-).

Listing NGR: ST5435777457


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 469
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, (1967)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14070/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].