CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209758
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209758.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:31:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)
Parish:
Dalton Town with Newton
National Grid Reference:
SD 22580 73886

Details

BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2273 CHURCH STREET, Dalton In Furness 708-1/11/166 (South side) 25/02/50 Church of St Mary

GV II*

Church on site of earlier church. 1882-5. By Paley and Austin. Snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings, graduated green slate roof. 6-bay nave with separately-roofed aisles; 3-stage tower over west end of nave, porches to north and south; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Gothic Revival style with Decorated tracery. Chamfered plinth; iron gutter brackets; chequerwork to parapets, over the porches and over east and west windows; roll-moulded copings to the gables and parapets. South aisle: offset buttresses to east end and between 2 pairs of 4-light windows having differing tracery, pointed arches and hoodmoulds. South porch (now opening into church centre of 1980) is hexagonal and vaulted: buttresses at each angle; moulded inner doorway with ballflowers; parapet. North aisle is longer having an extra bay to east with organ chamber lit by lozenge windows; adjacent 3-light aisle window (reused from earlier church) has taller, yellow sandstone surround and hoodmould with head-carved stops. Stack to east gable of aisle. North porch is 3-sided with enriched arch, buttresses and ashlar roof. Nave west window, in base of tower, is of 3-lights with stepped transom; chequer panel and traceried, square window above. Tower: setback buttresses flank louvred, 3-light belfry openings with pointed arches and hoodmoulds set within flushwork panels; string course beneath embattled parapet; octagonal vice to south-west corner rises higher. Chancel is under same roofline as nave: offset buttresses flank 6-light east window having 2 King mullions linked by transom, ogee-headed lights, cusped hexafoil and hoodmould. Gable has slit and apex cross. South chapel: small, semi-octagonal projection between 2 pairs of 2-light windows (reused from earlier church and of yellow sandstone); 2-light window to east; parapet to lean-to roof; square, quatrefoiled windows to the chancel. North vestry: ogee-headed door under round arch; traceried cross-window; 2-light east window. INTERIOR: western bay of nave, beneath tower, has arches to 3 sides springing from polygonal-based piers; half arches to the aisles. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double-chamfered arches and linked hoodmoulds. Broad, moulded chancel arch against which are a flying buttress across east end of north aisle and a pointed arch to the organ chamber. 2 arches into south chapel. Sedilia; carved reredos with alabaster insets. Nave and chancel have a barrel ceiling with bow-string trusses; those to the chancel with tracery and ogee-headed openings. C14 font beneath tower with crozier on shield and 7 pairs of shields on the other sides. c1885 semi-octagonal wooden pulpit on base corbelled from chancel-arch pier (gift of Edward Wadham of Millwood). Stained glass: C15 fragments in north porch. Mid-late C19 glass includes: north-aisle window, the gift of Henry Schneider in memory of his wife Augusta (d.1862); east window given by the Duke of Devonshire in memory of his son Lord Frederick Cavendish; 2 windows in south aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster; Baldwin memorial windows in south chapel, c1870. Monuments: various C19 wall monuments at west end of aisles. In south chapel are several to the Baldwin and Atkinson families: to Eliz. Baldwin d.1848 by W Audby of York; to Wm Atkinson d.1821 by Webster of Kendal. Paley and Austin built this, 'one of their most spectacular churches' (Pevsner), on the impressive site of the former parish church, cleared away in 1883. The cost of »11,553 defrayed by the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Buccleuch and others. The new church re-established the importance of Dalton following the formation of the Borough of Barrow in Furness with its many new places of worship. (Dent E: The Parish Church: Dalton in Furness, A History: 1985-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 111-112; Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: 36-39).

Listing NGR: SD2258073886

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388429
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dent, E , The Parish Church Dalton in Furness a History, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969), 111-112
Walton, J E, Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards, (1983), 36-39

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15916/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].