Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209813.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:05:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lichfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 10867 09313


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/01/2012

1094-1/3/241 SK10NW 06/03/70

LICHFIELD CHRISTCHURCH LANE, Leomansley (North side) Christ Church


Leomansley spelt Leamonsley on OS map. Church. 1844-7. By Thomas Johnson. Transepts added 1886-7 by M Holding. For Mrs Ellen Hinckley. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; fishscale tile roof. Cruciform plan. Decorated style. 2-bay chancel with transepts; 3-bay nave with west tower. Plinth, sill courses, plain coped parapets and coped gables; gabled diagonal buttresses and window hoods with head stops. Chancel has corbelled parapet; 3-light window with Flowing tracery; similar 2-light north and south windows and adjacent transept east windows; transept north and south windows of 3 lights with reticulated tracery, west projections have 2-light north and south windows with geometrical tracery, entrances to west. North transept has pointed tomb recess with 3 cusped panels over chest, to Samuel Seckham, creator of Park Town, Oxford, and members of his family. Nave has gabled buttresses and 2-light windows with geometrical tracery; tower has west entrance with moulded arch and paired doors, 3-light window with Flowing tracery; upper lancet with clock face and 2-light louvred bell openings with sill course; top traceried frieze and embattled parapet with pinnacles. INTERIOR: nave and chancel have pointed tunnel vaults, chancel arch on responds and arches to transepts dying into jambs, as do arches to transepts from nave; west end has gallery to tower arch with 1887 ex-situ wrought-iron chancel screen. Fittings: chancel has 1906 reredos by GF Bodley, lower stencilled calvary cross, upper crucifixion and figures under nodding ogee heads, vine trail cornice and rich brattishing; octagonal timber pulpit with tracery panels; north transept has timber altar, south transept has 1877 reredos to former altar, applied arches with marble cross and shafts; nave has encaustic tiles, octagonal font with squat stem and tracery panels. Painting: chancel roof painted 1897 by JD Batten, Old Testament figures and symbols of Passion and Eucharist. Memorial: war memorial to nave. Stained glass: 1920 east window by Kempe and Tower; 1870s and 80s north and south chancel windows and transept east windows by Hardman and Co, also nave south windows; north transept 1894 north west window by CE Kempe, 1901 north east window by HW Bryans, and 1889 nave window to General Phillips, by Hardman and Co. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.190; Shell Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire, A Shell Guide: London: 1978-: P.124-5; Clayton H: Cathedral City: Lichfield: 1977-: P.7-8; Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W: Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.151-2).

Listing NGR: SK1086709313

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Clayton, H , Cathedral City, (1977), 7-8
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1990), 151-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 190
Thorold, H, 'Shell County Guides' in Staffordshire, (1978), 124-5
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16849/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].