This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1210129



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY4055NW GREENMARKET 671-1/12/171 (North side) 01/06/49 Nos.5 AND 6 Guildhall (Formerly Listed as: GREENMARKET Guildhall (including Grill and Buttery on ground floor))


Formerly known as: Redness Hall GREENMARKET. Includes: Nos.58 AND 60 FISHER STREET. House (sometimes called Redness Hall), then Guildhall, now cafe with museum over. Documentary evidence suggests that the present building replaced an earlier structure which was burnt down in the fire that broke out in Carlisle on 4th May 1391 which also destroyed many other properties. The hall was probably constructed between 1396 and 1407 for Richard de Redness. An L-shaped, 3-storey, timber-framed building with 5 bays along Fisher Street and 3 bays on Greenmarket. Cumbrian slate roof laid to diminishing courses with one stack remaining at northern end of Fisher Street wing. The ground floor was probably open originally but it is now filled in with stuccoed walls and round-arched windows. The large timber posts are still evident and retain some of their decorative mouldings. The upper floors have moulded jetties and cornices. Only the posts are visible externally, the rest of the framing is hidden by rendering, together with weather-boarding on the first floor and medieval brick tile on the second floor. The framing of these floors is visible on the inside and consists of tall rectangular panels; those on the street side of the building are divided by a mid-rail and the lower half of these panels contain pairs of curved braces (rising from the tie-beam to a post or an intermediate stud). The framing of the cross-walls at first floor level has large concave braces (rising from the wall posts to the tie-beam) on each side of the building. The pattern on the second floor is slightly different, for the bracing on the street side consists of large convex/tension braces (rising from the tie-beam to the wall post). The opposite bracing is concave like the floor below. The infill of the panelling is mainly wattle and daub with medieval brick tile on the second floor. Some panels remain unrendered for display inside the museum. The original roof construction, although altered, still survives over the 5-bay Fisher Street section and consists of 4 crown posts. The crown posts are jowled on both sides and have a rectangular section. Part of the original collar plate survives with convex down-braces from post to tie and concave up-braces from post to plate. Although now hipped, the roof of this wing was originally gabled. The roof over the 3 bays of the Greenmarket wing appears to be a later replacement and consists of canted queen posts, clasped purlins and collared rafters. The purlins are clasped between the rafter and a canted or raked queen post which is jowled on the lower side. One of the trusses (which appears to be identical to the others) is clearly an insertion with a supporting post that is pegged onto the original timber framework. Documentary evidence suggests that these alterations to the medieval building, including the infilling of the ground floor, might have occurred between 1573 and 1662. Such a date for the queen post roof would be quite reasonable. The Greenmarket elevation has, on the first floor, Yorkshire sash windows with glazing bars and on the second floor sash and Yorkshire sash windows with glazing bars in brick reveals. Medieval gargoyles are plaster casts of originals in Carlisle Cathedral, first placed here in 1844; all except one on facade are 1978 replacements. Beside some windows are fixed hooks to support guild flags. Fisher Street elevation has ground floor 1988 shop windows; upper floor 2-light C15 cusped-headed window; plank-faced oriel with upper small casement windows with glazing bars. Other windows are casements and Yorkshire sashes. INTERIOR: complete except for removal of some internal partitions and no original stairs. Most of the timber-framing and roof trusses are exposed. Bronze plaque on stairs states that this opened as a museum in 1978. Further details are given in the Guildhall Museum leaflet.

Listing NGR: NY4003855976

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 40038 55976


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 05:33:52.

End of official listing