CHURCH OF ST AGATHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1210221
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1970
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Jul-1982
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, STRATFORD ROAD B11

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210221.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2021 at 01:02:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, STRATFORD ROAD B11

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 08667 84778

Details

STRATFORD ROAD 1. 5104 Highgate B11 Church of St Agatha (formerly listed under Sparkbrook) SF 08 SE 12/59 21.1.70 I 2. 1899-1901 exaeptionally fine and original church by W E Bidlake dominated by its great tower, in a Perpendicular style freely reinterpreted in an Arts and Crafts idiom and of very fine workmanship. Fine quality red brick with stone dressings. Aisles and clerestory. The west front with vestibule porches to aisles flanking the magnificent lofty tower containing the low baptistry apse at its foot. The tower has slender octagonal corner turrets with their upper stages composed of red and white chequerwork surmounted by open work turret/pinnacles crowned by lofty original wrought iron finials. The stair turret on the south face also has an imaginatively designed top stage and in carefully proportioned to emphasise the soaring scale of the tower and the powerful belfry openings. Above the baptistry is a fine sculptured sweeping frame work to the west tower window and equally inventive sculptural and carved decoration enlivens the cambered stone arches and jambs of the flanking vestibule doorways. The Gothic of the fenestration to the aisles and clerestory is more conventional. The interior, restored after the the war and thefire of 1957, is a remarkably sophisticated original conception, faced in pale buff brick blending with the stone dressings. The arcade hood moulds have Bidlake's typical finesse of detailing, almost dying into the piers but with a scrolled curve carved over the vestigial ribs of the pier, the latter is then carved up to divide the large clerestory windows and terminating in richly and freely carved foliage corbels; the timber ribs of the roof carrying on the lines of the masonry. The chancel's pointed barrel vault is born by stone arches springing from very richly carved corbels. The sophistication of the carving and quality of the moulded detailing is consistent throughout. Bidlake's furnishings were destroyed in the 1957 fire.



Listing NGR: SP0866884777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
217658
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00068/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J J Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].