CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1210885
Date first listed:
14-May-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210885.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:49:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Kimbolton
National Grid Reference:
TL 09930 67862

Details

KIMBOLTON HIGH STREET TL 095675 (NORTH SIDE) 6/62 CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW 14.5.59 I Parish Church recorded in Domesday Survey, 1086, but the north and south arcades are C13 and the external appearance is mainly C14 with C15 additions. The roofs of the north and south aisles are noteworthy as are the screens and monuments. Of Barnack and rubblestone with some pebblestone. Early C14 west tower with broach spire. Of three stages on plinth with four stage angle buttressing and newel staircase in north west angle. Moulded main cornice enriched with mask and other ornament. The doorway and other openings are early C14. Three stage broach spire with three tiers of gabled spire lights. C14 nave, embattled, with four early C14 windows to each side of clerestorey. C15 south aisle and chapel. Embattled with cut-down corner pinnacles. Five three-light windows with vertical tracery and a similar five-light window to east end. C15 south porch, also embattled. Similar outer and inner arches with shafts and moulded jambs in two centred arches with square heads and tracery to spandrels. Round headed niche above outer archway. Chancel, C14, with south wall rebuilt C18. C15 east window, restored. C14 north aisle and north chapel. Ogee heads to five cinquefoil lights in four centred arches. 1853 porch to Montagu family vault beneath north chapel. 1847 north vestry. Interior. The marks of the original roof are visible in the east wall of the tower, above the early C14 tower arch. Early C13 north arcade of four bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with label of nail head ornament, on alternate round and octagonal columns. Late C13 south arcade of four bays. Similar arches and moulded label on round columns. C15 nave roof, restored. Jackposts on C15 grotesque corbels. North and south aisles have fine C15 roofs. Main beams and principal rafters with carved bosses at intersections. Jackposts in north aisle and intermediate principal rafters in both aisles are carved with figures, those in north aisle are of St. Michael and Angels with emblems of Passion. Chancel arch C14. Two centred and of three moulded orders with the responds on linked attached shafts with moulded capitals. North of the chancel arch is a small niche with cinquefoil tracery and crocketed ogee head. One C15 arch to north wall and another to south wall of chancel. C13 font, square bowl on repaired central and detached subsidiary shafts. Screens. Between north chapel and north aisle, C15, of four bays, part restored. Between south chapel and south aisle, late C16 and of five bays, including bay for opening. Cinquefoil and subcusped tracery with ogee heads. Traces of original painting to closed lower panels. Monuments. South chapel. 1632 wall monument to Lady Isabella Smyth. 1642 altar tomb and wall monument to Henry, lst Earl of Manchester. 1658 free standing monument to Essex, Countess of Manchester. 1641, similar monument to Rt. Hon. Anne, Lady Mandeville. South aisle: 1722 wall monument to William Ashton VCH (Hunts) Vol. III. RCHM (Hunts) p167. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p275. Norris Museum, St. Ives, Inskip Ladds Records.

Listing NGR: TL0993067862

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
395463
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 167
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 167
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 275

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16115/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].