CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211173.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 03:33:54.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 75209 79880
ST 77 NE DODINGTON C.P. DODINGTON PARK
6/60 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Complete rebuilding of mediaeval church 1796-1816, linked in group with Dodington House and the Orangery (q.v.) by James Wyatt. Limestone ashlar, copper domed roof, rendered rubble at basement level, rear rendered and lined out. Greek cross plan, portico, entrance, nave, north and south transepts, chancel. Greek Doric style. 3-bay west front, centre bay broken forward, plinth, unfluted Greek Doric portico, pediment, tall double doors in moulded architrave, band course above, large Diocletian window, modillion cornice and balustrade with corner dies and 2 central dies; to each side of centre bay, single storey block containing stairs to galleries, each with round-headed recess containing inner round headed recess with cill, upper moulded string course (continued around Orangery to right) cornice and blocking course; to right, wall curves to meet Orangery (q.v.). Set back from central front bay, nave, north and south transepts continue modillion cornice, nave has high parapet, cornice and blocking course, domed roof with lantern, north and south transepts have small parapet and balustrade as at front. North elevation has central bay of north transept broken forward slightly; at basement level, central and left bays visible, to right concealed by churchyard, central bay has blocked round-headed opening, 16-pane sash with keystone to left; central bay has round-headed blind recess with band course set within, band course across bay, similar Diocletian window modillion cornice and balustrade; outer bays have tall round-headed recess rising from plinth, containing 9-pane round-headed sash with splayed upper glazing bars, moulded string course, cornice and blocking course. East elevation has chancel as central bay, upper band course, Diocletian window, modillion cornice, parapet and balustrade; at basement level, projecting flat-roofed block with coping, round-headed opening to left with C20 door and glazing bars in upper section, slightly higher block to right has round-headed opening to right, double doors with glazed upper section, cornice; bay to right at ground floor level has panelled door and sash above to right, cornice and blocking course; to left of centre bay an addition with pitched roof, C20 windows and door to south; set back, a block with 8-pane sash, in front of south transept; south transept has modillion cornice to south and balustrade to south and east, attached to Orangery at ground floor level. Interior: entrance doors have floating cornice supported by scrolled and acanthus console brackets, moulded architrave, similar panelled doors to right and left in moulded architrave, each leading to stair to north and south galleries in transepts; winder stair to north (gallery missing) and dog-leg stair to south with cast iron railing balustrade, wreathed, semi-circular recess to each side of stair entry, segmental headed openings to galleries. South gallery has semi-circular recess to rear with cast iron fireplace, cast iron screen across front in 5 panels of intersecting numbers with rosette bosses, to east a corridor leads to private entry for Dodington House through Orangery; each transept has coved plaster ceiling with cornice and beaded panels with bronze rosettes, marbled panelled front to south gallery floor with Greek key patterned frieze (mostly missing), south transept has 6-panelled east door leading to Orangery. Square nave has high arch to entrance, chancel and transepts rising from pilaster with recessed panel to inner side and cornice, soffits of arches coffered with bronze rosettes; at each corner of nave a fluted Greek Doric column with architrave as a springer for 4 inner arches, also coffered with bronze rosettes, (cornice missing at top of plinths), pendentives between arches in moulded surrounds with marbled centre, cornice, coffered dome above with rosettes at lower level, Vitruvian scroll cornice, upper part divided into sections by beaded fillets, vertical section above with patterned painting and lantern. Chancel has ceiling as in transepts. Fittings: contemporary reredos in wood with round-headed arch, scrolled and acanthus keystone and putti in spandrels, late C19 central panel carved with symbols of the Passion. Altar on marble wood with recessed panel on plinth of yellow Siena marble. Later C19 bowl font on 4 slender Corinthian columns on octagonal marble plinth in centre of nave. 5 Art Nouveau gasoliers, of bronze and lapis lazuli, detached from original position. Coat of arms on hatchment in south transept gallery. Marble floor in nave and chancel. Early C19 marble tablet with fluted columns, pediment and coat of arms, to Codrington family, on north wall at entrance. Window over south gallery has early C20 glass brought from Ypres Cathedral. In poor condition at time of survey after attack of dry rot c.1950, in process of restoration (September 1984). (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Cotswolds. 1970. Country Life LV, 170-75, CXX 1176-9 and 1230-3).
Listing NGR: ST7521279883
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 170-175
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 1176-1179
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 1230-1233
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing