Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211336.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:16:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 61772 19806



TF6119NE SATURDAY MARKET PLACE 610-1/9/197 (South side) 01/12/51 Church of St Margaret


Benedictine Priory founded 1095, now a parish church. Rebuilt during C13, altered continuously since. Exterior mostly C15. Central lantern and south-west spire collapsed 1741. Substantial internal rebuilding 1745-46 by Matthew Brettingham. Restored 1875 by Scott. Limestone. Lead roofs. Twin west towers, nave, aisles, transepts with crossing tower, aisled chancel. West front with central arched door under crenellated surround. Above is a Perpendicular 7-light window. 3-stage south-west tower complete to ringing chamber by c1260: bundled buttresses, Norman interlace to lower stages gives way to trefoiled C13 arcading, then to 2-light ringing chamber windows, terminating in bar tracery of the C14 belfry stage. Crenellated parapet with pinnacles. North-west tower also Norman in lower courses but rebuilt 1453: indeterminate stage divisions, clasping buttresses, small 3-light Perpendicular windows. Crenellated parapet. Remains of an outer north aisle abut, lit through a 5-light west window. 5-bay nave aisles and clerestory added 1472-83, the north aisle by Roger Cony. 3-light Perpendicular windows under basket arches. Short projecting transepts with hints of Norman work. Large Perpendicular principal windows. Squat crossing tower which carried a timber lantern until storm of 1741. 3-bay north chancel aisle 1394, 5-bay south aisle 1433. Three-light windows and basket arches again. 10-bay chancel clerestory with similar fenestration. Chancel east end has polygonal tower buttresses gripping the corners. Rose east window of 1875. INTERIOR. 6-bay nave arcade. West bay is round-arched on compound piers with scalloped, stiff-leaf and water-leaf capitals and undercut arch mouldings. South-west tower with bundled piers. North-west tower with Perpendicular piers and details. Remainder of arcade of quatrefoil piers standing on Norman bases. Roof is 1745: tie beams on arched braces. Stiff-leaf capitals to crossing arch piers. Chancel clerestory has wall passage and remains of Early English arcading. C14 screens between chancel and its aisles, C16 screen in north transept. Mid C18 pulpit. Organ case by Sneltzer, 1754. The 2 largest brasses in England. One to Adam Walsoken and wife of 1349, both in civil dress. No space undecorated; post windmill depicted in lower left predella scene. Flemish. Other to Robert Braunche and 2 wives. 1364. Civil dress. Similar decorative frenzy and also Flemish.

Listing NGR: TF6177219806


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03149/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].