FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1211515
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, MEETING HOUSE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211515.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:54:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, MEETING HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47298 61681

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NW MEETING HOUSE LANE 1685-1/6/178 (North side) 22/12/53 Friends' Meeting House

GV II*

Quaker meeting house. 1708, altered 1769, extended 1779 and 1790, and altered internally early C20 and 1969. Sandstone rubble, pebbledashed at the front. Roof of stone slate at front and slate at rear. Single-storey, with 2-storey porch and with attic storey above left-hand (west) meeting room. 3 bays to left of porch and 5 to right, with projecting ashlar quoins. Windows have painted rebated and chamfered surrounds, with hinge pins for shutters, and have glazing bar sashes, the first of which were installed in 1769 when the mullions and transoms were removed from the original cross windows. The left-hand window was added in 1789 when the small meeting room was enlarged, and the 2 right-hand windows were added when the large meeting room was extended. The porch, which was probably added in the late C18, has canted sides which each have a glazing bar sash in a plain stone surround lighting the upper room. The doorway has a cyma-moulded surround with a lintel carved with a semi-elliptical arch with keystone. The gables are coped. The left-hand gable has an ashlar chimney stack with a cornice and weathered offset. Near the junction of the porch and the main roof is a second chimney cap. The right-hand (east) gable wall is part of the 1779 extension, is of coursed squared sandstone and has a Venetian window with stone surround and Gothick glazing. Towards the east end of the rear wall a 3-light rebated and chamfered mullioned window has been exposed by the demolition of adjoining school buildings. A rear wing towards the west was added in 1852 as a warden's cottage and further additions were subsequently made at the rear as part of the former Friends' School. INTERIOR: inside the porch a chamfered doorway which led to the left-hand meeting room has a re-set datestone inscribed '1677', re-used from the first meeting house on the site. Attached to the wall is the inscribed grave slab of John Lawson, removed from the Friends' burial ground in Wyresdale Road. The north gallery was removed from the large meeting room in the early C20, and the west gallery was removed in 1969 when the screen dividing the room from the vestibule corridor was moved. This is now partly glazed but incorporates C18 woodwork, including raised and fielded panels, pilasters, and a timber cornice. The north wall is panelled to dado height with raised and fielded panels, and the east wall is similarly panelled with plain panels. The high ceiling has 4 cased beams and 2 decorative C19 vents. (Dove, R & Segebarth, H: A History of the Friends' Meeting House Lancaster: Lancaster: 1990-).

Listing NGR: SD4729861681

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383211
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dove, R, Segebarth, H , A History of the Friends Meeting House Lancaster, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03879/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].