HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211925.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:03:15.
- Statutory Address:
- HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Austell
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 01419 52452
SX 0152 ST AUSTELL ST AUSTELL
868/1/456 Holy Trinity Church with Chapel of St Michael (Formerly listed as: 28.11.1950 ST AUSTELL Holy Trinity Church)
Parish church. C13 and C14 remains at the E end, part of which is probably 1390, the date of an endowment for the chantry chapel of St Michael, otherwise C15, the tower 1478-87, the date of the coat of arms of Bishop Courtenay; much restored by G E Street, who designed the reredos and pulpit, in 1872. MATERIALS: granite ashlar plinth to S aisle, Pentewan stone ashlar above and to porch, which like the aisles and the tower has an embattled parapet; tower is Pentewan stone and Carn Grey granite, otherwise local rubble; slate roofs with coped gable ends. PLAN: C13 S aisle chapel; C14 chancel and N aisle chapel; C15 nave and N and S aisles, 2-storey S porch, W tower, and late C19 N vestries in transepts at the E end. EXTERIOR: earliest features are the C13 windows of the chapel east of the S aisle: 3 windows with paired trefoil-headed lancets plus quatrefoil tracery to the S wall and a 3-light window with trefoil tracery at the E end. Chancel window is probably C14 and has quatrefoil tracery. E window of N chapel is also probably C14 and has intersecting tracery. The finest work is to the 3-stage tower with buttresses offset from the corners, strings dividing the stages, the parapet string pierced by carved gargoyles; corbels carry the octagonal corners of the upper stage rising to crocketted pinnacles. There are niches with carved figures to each side of the 2nd stage, 4 apostles to each side except the W side which has a pyramid arrangement of 6 with the top 3 representing the Trinity and the Annunciation, and the risen Christ between 2 saints below; C 16 clock face (Pevsner) above the niches on the S side. Upper stage has blind 3-light windows and carved enrichment to some of the near ashlar courses; lower stage with 5-light window (all with tracery and hoodmoulds), a 2-centred arched doorway with square hoodmould and carved spandrels. N and S aisles have 4-light traceried windows; S aisle has an ashlar rood stair turret on the right with a slate sundial. Porch has offset corner buttresses and moulded strings, the centre of the parapet has carved detail; 2-light moulded 1st-floor window over a 2-centred (nearly round-arched) doorway with an inner open ogee arch. I NTERIOR: some plastered walls with exposed stone rear arches and arcade arches and the whole of the N aisle skinned; 2 (13 bays at the E end with Catecleuse stone arcades of pointed arches: round pier to S side and octagonal pier to N side, otherwise tall (15 arcades of Pentewan stone with nearly round arches and standard A (Pevsner) piers; (15 moulded waggon roofs with carved wallplates and carved and painted bosses and plastered panels to nave and aisles; arched-braced roofs to E end, painted except for N roof. FITTINGS: Norman elvan font of Bodmin type with faces at the corners and trees of life and dragon decoration; pillar piscina also Norman; a few (15 carved bench ends, the pews otherwise late (19 pitch-pine and panelled; some original (15 fragments of the rood screen; alabaster, marble and tile reredos and round alabaster pulpit with biblical scenes, both by Street; late (19 or early (20 parclose screens. MONUMENTS: free-standing black urn on a square base to Joseph Sawle who died 1769, by Isbell; marble wall obelisk to John Graves Esq. Rear Admiral R N. GLASS: late (19 or early (20 memorial glass to N aisle. This church has the unusual survival of a significant proportion ofC13 and (14 fabric, also the tower is one of the finest in Cornwall. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1990-: 156; Cartwright A: Building Stones of St Austell).
Listing NGR: SX0141752452
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cartwright, A , Building Stones of St Austell
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing