GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1211953
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL, SATURDAY MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211953 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:22:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL, SATURDAY MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 61716 19861

Details

KING'S LYNN

TF6119NE SATURDAY MARKET PLACE 610-1/9/199 (North side) 01/12/51 Guildhall

GV I

Guildhall (of the Holy and Undivided Trinity), now part of civic accommodation. 1422-28; porch and interior alterations of 1624. Brick with ashlar and flint dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Narrow site, set gable-end to street. Two elements. To right (east) is the gabled guildhall proper, with the Stone Hall forming the upper 2 floors and lit through a 7-light Perpendicular arched window with panel tracery. Moulded jambs. Stone string course divides this from ground floor. Ground floor is a brick undercroft used, when built, to store the guilds goods. Originally entered through 2 timber doorways, these removed and replaced with two 2-light, round-arched Y-tracery windows. One small 2-light window flanks right and left. Polygonal corner turrets close elevation and rise to gabled roof. Whole of facade decorated with knapped flint squares alternating with stone squares to produce chequered flushwork. Original entrance to Stone Hall was via a dog-leg staircase against west wall. In 1624 present porch built to protect new staircase; this forms left (west) element in overall design. Of same materials and with same chequered flushwork. 3 storeys and gabled roof. Diminishing polygonal corner shafts and string courses at each floor. Central round-headed doorway with pair of engaged Doric columns. Guttae under flat hood. Small subsidiary doors either side under lunettes. First floor lit through 6-light transomed casement. Top floor with a large re-used coat of arms relating to reign of Elizabeth, and inscribed Edward Hargae, Mayor, 1624. This flanked by a small light each side and another in each of returns. When noticed that coat of arms to Elizabeth was re-used, a new achievement relating to Charles II was erected on parapet at Restoration and inscribed William Wharton, Mayor, 1664. INTERIOR. Porch doorway leads to timber staircase. Fluted Ionic timber columns on high bases right and left. Balustrade with fat turned balusters and moulded handrail. Dog-legs to right to approach entrance to Stone Hall: moulded stone jambs and arch, with double plank and muntin doors. Stone Hall in 4 bays (originally 6). Chamfered wall arches. Wainscoting from 1895. Roof of crenellated tie beams supported on arched braces with pierced tracery spandrels. Roof above is scissor-braced, but boarded. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TF6171619861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384317
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00201/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].