Church of St. Clement

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1212118
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Clement, Church Lane, Ashampstead

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Clement
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212118.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:49:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Clement, Church Lane, Ashampstead

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ashampstead
National Grid Reference:
SU 56418 76793

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2020

SU 57 NE 3/17

ASHAMPSTEAD Church Lane Church of St. Clement

[Formerly listed under (PINFOLD LANE) (West side), CHURCH LANE]

14.4.67

GV I

Church. Early C13, restored in 1849 and 1894. Rendered with stone dressings, old tile roofs; wavey-edged weatherboarded bell turret on west end of nave with louvred openings on all faces and shingled pyramidal cap with lead finial and weathervane. Nave, Chancel, south porch and north vestry.

Nave, west front: lancet with cill string; south front: chamfered south doorway with hoodmould and boarded door; C19 gabled porch with moulded arch, hoodmould, boarded door, and windows with two trefoiled lights, square heads and returned hoodmoulds on east and west faces. Window to left of porch with two cinquefoiled lights under square head with returned hoodmould; two windows to right of porch with two and three cinquefoiled lights under square heads with returned hoodmoulds, two brick buttreses one between windows and one to right.

North front: one C13 lancet; C19 gabled vestry projecting to right, window to west of two trefoiled lights under square head with hoodmould, identical window to east.

Chancel, south front: blocked C13 arched doorway to left, two C13 lancets to right between two brick and tile buttreses with one set back.

North front: two C13 lancets.

East front: C19 triple lancets with cill strung and impost string carried over lancets as hoodmould.

Interior, nave: medieval roof of four bays with tie beams, arch braced collars, and double purlins with two tiers of windbraces. Extensive C13 wall paintings, on north wall and above chancel beam. Chancel: medieval roof of 3 bays with tie beams, arch braced collars and two tiers of windbraces. Some wall paintings to north. All fittings C19.

Listing NGR: SU5641376791

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396640
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 450-451
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 70
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 114

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08399/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Leia Spencer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].