MOAT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1212368
Date first listed:
17-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
MOAT HOUSE, PARKFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOAT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212368.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 05:13:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOAT HOUSE, PARKFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pucklechurch
National Grid Reference:
ST 69700 76714

Details

ST 67 NE PUCKLECHURCH C.P. PARKFIELD ROAD (south side)

4/194 Moat House 17.9.52 G.V. II*

Farmhouse. C17 with later alterations, formerly front of 7 gables, 3 to right remaining. Coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings, pantiled roof with ridge stacks. 2½ storeys and 3 windows, 3 gables rising higher than roof ridges; ground and first floor left have 8-light hollow-chamfered mullion and transom window with king mullion, leaded lights and hood mould, ground and first floor right have 3-light casement with hollow-chamfered mullions and hood mould, central flat-roofed porch with cornice and blocking course, 2-light window to each side, panelled and glazed door, similar 3-light window above and at first floor, each gable has 2-light casement with hood mould, central one blocked, without hood mould. Left return has ground floor central cross window with hollow-chamfered mullion and transom and hood mould, 2 timber lintels from blocked entrances to former great hall, 2-light similar casement under eaves to right, 4-pane light at first floor left. At right return, the gable end to left has 3-light similar window at ground and first floor, 2-light at attic, light to left at ground and first floor blocked; rear wing to right of 2½ storeys and 2 windows, has two 3-light casements at ground floor with ovolo mullions and hood mould, first floor has 3-light casement with hollow-chamfered mullions and hood mould to left, C19 3-light casement with chamfered mullions and dripstone to right, gable to right has 2-light casement with chamfered mullion and hood mould, stack above; lean-to attached to right with two 2-light casements to rear and door to inner side. Rear has gable end of wing to left and two gable ends to right, left gable end has first floor 2-light hollow-chamfered casement with hood mould to inner side, gable to left has similar first floor window and C20 2-light window above with relieving arch; single storey lean-to along rear has door and multi-pane window, inside lean-to, a similar 2-light casement with hood mould and heavy timber lintel. Interior: ground floor front left room, formerly ante-room to great hall, has fine plaster ceiling with large Tudor roses at corners, central ribbed pattern with fruit and flowers, completely panelled walls with entry for door and carved frieze, panelling over fireplace has fluted pilasters with round-headed recesses with diamonds and chevrons, stone fireplace with moulded Tudor arch, cornice supported on scrolled brackets, frieze and dentil cornice under mantel, cupboards to sides. Front right room has bolection-moulded panelling, rear right room has fireplace with cornice and mantel. At first floor, doors have elaborate pumpkin stops to frames, front left room with panelling and frieze, stone fireplace, cupboard to side with cock's head hinges. Stair of C19 from ground to first floor, from first floor original newel and wide winder stair, central stack to left has blocked fireplace with cambered lintel; in roof one arched-brace collar truss and one pair of windbraces surviving, probably over former solar wing. For further details, see sources. (Sources: Hall, L. : unpublished survey, NMR).

Listing NGR: ST6970076714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396868
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01568/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John A Long. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].