Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212395.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:44:56.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 73780 79500


Sk 77 NW GROVE MAIN STREET (west side) 7/33 Church of St. Helen 1.2.67 G.V. II Parish church. 1882. By Hodgson Fowler. C14 Decorated style. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinth, moulded sill band, chamfered eaves, coped gables with gabled kneelers and crosses. All windows have hood moulds. West tower and spire, nave, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, eaves band, 8 gargoyles, 4 crocketed pinnacles, crenellated parapet. To west, pair of diagonal buttresses, 5 setoffs; to east, pair of corner buttresses, 3 setoffs. Setback octagonal spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes and finial. South side has to east, canted stair turret with finial and 3 stair lights. Above, central clock in surround inscribed 'Watch and Pray'. West side has ogee headed triple lancet. Above, small single lancet. North side has a similar lancet. Third stage has 4 cusped head Decorated double lancet bell openings with coved reveals. Nave, 3 hays, has to south a double ogee headed lancet, and to its right a triple lancet in early C14 style. Moulded south doorway with traceried panelled door. North side has 3 double lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has buttressed east end with 2 small lights to crypt in chamfered reveals,and above, triple lancet with moulded mullions and flowing tracery, and at its foot, traceried panels. South side has 2 depressed ogee headed lancets. Organ chamber has hipped roof with finial. To west, hipped lean-to porch with shouldered doorway, and to north, double lancet in coved and rebated square headed reveal. Lean-to vestry to east, has single coped gable and double side wall stack. To north, chamfered doorway under relieving arch. To east, leaded light in chamfered reveal and above, double lancet and above again, shield inscribed '1882'. South porch, single bay, has lintel band and string course, double cyma moulded and rebated doorway, and above, niche with nodding ogee canopy, containing figure with cross. Interior has stone benches and principal rafter roof. Tower arch, double cusped and rebated with coved hood mould and octagonal responds with crenellated capitals and moulded bases. Vaulted tower chamber has central round opening. Doorway to west with hood mould, and window with stained glass 1882. Nave has sill band and panelled dado. Cusped timber screen at west end with stained glass panels. King post roof with moulded tie beam and arch braces to collars. Curved wind braces. Cusped fillets. Ashlar pieces. Chancel arch, double roll moulded and rebated has filleted responds with moulded caps and bases. Hood mould with foliate stops. Chancel has to north chamfered and rebated organ opening and to east, doorway with traceried panelled door. East end has traceried and crested timber panellinq and matching reredos, and sill band, gradine with foliate basses, and C19 stained glass. South side has stained glass, C19. Wagon vaulted panelled timber roof with moulded timbers and crenellated wall plate. Vestry has panelled lean-to roof and fitted vestment cupboards. Fittings comprise octagonal font with foliate panels and octagonal foliate base and panelled stem, canted timber pulpit with traceried panels and panelled timber lectern on square stem. Scroll ended softwood benches. 2 traceried panelled clergy desks. Tower chamber has alabaster slab to Hugh Hercy, 1455, and to Elizabeth Hercy, 1450, re-sited 1882 and re- cut 1932. Incised slab with cross, C15. 2 C19 and single C20 brasses.

Listing NGR: SK7378079500


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07001/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].