CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1212463
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212463.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:17:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tywardreath and Par
National Grid Reference:
SX 08490 54314

Details



SXOSNW TYWARDREATH TYWARDREATH 868-116/578 Church of St Andrew 28/11/50 II* GV

Anglican church. C14 tower, otherwise rebuilt 1880-1887 (inscription) to former C14 and C15 plan using much of the original materials and features by R Coad; N porch probably early C20. MATERIALS: slatestone rubble with Pentewen stone dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with coped ends and red crested clay ridge tiles; tall stone stack over angle between nave and transept. PLAN: W tower, navelchancel under one roof, N and S porches, N transept and vestry attached E of transept. EXTERIOR: embattled W tower is 4-stages with strings dividing stages and stair projection to S of SE corner; single buttress to either side of the lower stage towards W corners. Upper stage has slate louvred 3-light square-headed windows with cusped lights; stage below has clockface within diamond panel to E and W sides; string becomes hoodmould of pointed 3-light traceried window above moulded 2-centred arched doorway with hoodmould. C19 parts of church have traceried windows except for square~headed cusped window between transept and porch. S aisle has 3-light windows to W and S: 1 bay left of porch and 3 bays to S wall right of porch, then rood stair turret and then 2 more bays and a 4-light E window. Chancel has 5~Iight E window with intersecting tracery; N transept has a 3-light N window, otherwise 2-light windows. S porch has squat 2-centred arched doorway of 3 moulded orders. INTERIOR: Plastered walls; granite 7-bay standard A (Pevsner) arcades with moulded capitals and steep 4-centred arches; rood stair with basket-arched lower doorway and 4-centred arched doorway to former screen; unpainted oak waggon roofs with carved bosses and boarded panels, the roofs to E end with extra panels. FITTINGS: C15 or C16 bench ends incorporated into C19 pulpit, pews and parclose screens with some Gothic style tracery. MONUMENTS: slate slab with foliated cross to Thomas Colyns who died 1534'; another slab to Jane (otherwise indeciphererable) who died 1636; wall monument with relief of woman with urn by C Regnart to Jane Pole who died 1795; Gothic style monument by Pierce of Truro to Caroline Rashleigh who died in 1842 (Pevsner N , The Buildings of England: Cornwall,1951-1972; P236 and 237).



Listing NGR: SX0849054314

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396956
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 236-237

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09360/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George A. Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].