CHURCH OF ST HERMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1212526
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HERMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HERMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212526.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:19:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HERMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Ervan
National Grid Reference:
SW 89176 70283

Details

ST ERVAN ST ERVAN SW 87 SE 3/183 Church of St Hermes

GV II*

Parish church. C13, refenestrated in C15, restored in 1887-9 and top of tower re- erected in mid C20. Slate rubble and Catacleuse stone windows. Stone roofs with C19 granite coping and apex crosses over the east gable ends of the chancel and nave. Plan: The church is probably largely C13, of cruciform plan comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts, west tower and south porch. The church was refenestrated in the C15, and the west tower is probably also C15. In 1887-9 it was heavily restored, the upper stage of the west tower was dismantled and the south transept and all the roofs were rebuilt, which included the rebuilding of the chancel arch and transept arches. The upper stage of the tower was re-erected in the mid C20. A C19 photograph inside the church shows the tower of 2 storeys with 3-light Perpendicular bell-openings and battlements. Exterior: The nave has C15 3-light Perpendicular windows, 2 on the south side and one on the north side, all with 2-centred arches and hoodmoulds. C13 moulded 2- centred arch south doorway with pyramid stops hoodmould and C18 or early C19 fielded panel door. Rebuilt gabled porch with reused moulded 2-centred arch doorway with hoodmould. The north doorway is also C13 but boarded over at time of the survey (1987); to the west of the north doorway a buttress with weathered set-offs. The north transept has similar Perpendicular windows with weathered set-offs set back from the corners. The south transept has a similar Perpendicular south window without a hoodmould and a straight-headed 3-light window on the east side with trefoil-headed lights; a gable kneeler is dated 1888. The 3-light chancel east window is similar to the other Perpendicular windows but probably C19. On the north and south sides of the chancel a C19 3-light window with straight head and cusped head lights. Only the lower stage of the original unbuttressed west tower survives; it has a weathered granite string at the first stage level, a blocked stair window slit on the south side and a late C19 3-light west window. The mid C20 rebuilt second stage is rendered and has a pyramidal slate roof and 2-light Gothic south and west windows. The porch has C19 wrought-iron gates. Interior: The roofs of the porch, nave, transepts and chancel are late C19 and have arch braced principals. The internal walls are plastered, but the chamfered stone rear arches are exposed. The nave and chancel are not aligned on a straight axis. The late C19 re-built chancel arch and transept arches are all similar 2-centred and chamfered with moulded capitals to the responds. The rebuilt tall narrow tower arch also has moulded imposts. The doorway to the stair turret has a hollow-chamfered 4- centred arch with pyramid stops. The stoup by the south doorway in the nave has a chamfered 2-centred arch. Circa late C15 carved corbel set into the east wall of the north transept. Late C12 or early C13 plain octagonal font. C18 octagonal fielded panel pulpit with fluted pilasters at the corners. Circa early C20 choir stalls with pierced quatrefoil panels in the backs. Plain mid to late C19 soft wood benches. Late C19 patterned encaustic tiles in the sanctuary. Monuments: Notable for its good slate wall monuments. In the chancel Richard Harvey, died 1666 and Richard Russell, died 1654. In the south transept; William Pomeroye, died 1622 with figure carved in central panel in contemporary dress. Humphrey Arthur, died 1676 with floral decoration around a central inscription panel and another slate to his wife Elizabeth. In the north transept an unidentified slate has 10 kneeling figures and date 162 (7or9). In the nave slates to : Nicholas and Jane Brewer, died 1642, Richard Hare died 1610, Richard Louis died 1688, John Tom died 1647. Two daughters of Walter Piper, died 1723 and fragment of slate with carved kneeling figures. There are also 2 late C17 monuments with columns and entablatures, one in the south transept to Ralph Keate who died in 1672, and the other in the north transept to Richard and Eleanora Vivian who died in 1708 and 1707. Stained glass: There is no stained glass except for a few coloured lights in some of the tracery and window heads. The bell at the base of tower is a recast of the bell which formerely hung in a makeshift belfry in the churchyard. It was the subject of John Betjeman's blank- verse autobiography "Summoned by Bells" (1960) which describes his boyhood and life at Oxford. Betjeman visited the Rectory, now St Ervan House qv. The first Rector, Master Lawrence died in 1258. Source: Kelly's Directory.

Listing NGR: SW8917670283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397020
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12009/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].