CHURCH OF ST MERRYN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1212764
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
20-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MERRYN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MERRYN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212764.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:01:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MERRYN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Merryn
National Grid Reference:
SW 88641 74141

Details

SW87SE 1525/3/267 6.6.69

ST MERRYN ST MERRYN Church of St Merryn (Formerly listed as: ST MERRYN Church of St Marina) 6.6.69

GV II*

Parish church dedicated to St Merryn. Probably Norman origins, extended in C15 and restored 1887-1907 and again in 1962. Stone rubble and slate roofs. PLAN: Norman origins with remains of Norman arch to west tower. North transept circa C13 and 7-bay south aisle added in C15. EXTERIOR: quoins of west tower rebuilt in 1962. 2 stages with set back corner buttresses, (relocated on top of the north buttresses there are 2 circa C15 carved Catacleuse angel corbels holding shields), battlemented parapet with crocketed finials. C15 moulded arch to west door, 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings. Catacleuse stone Perpendicular tracery with 3-light windows in south aisle, the east windows with C19 Perpendicular tracery and circa C14 lancet window in north transept. INTERIOR: Cl5 unceiled waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved wall plates and bosses. Ceiled simple chancel roof. Chamfered 4-centred tower arch. Cl5 7-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred moulded arches of Catacleuse stone. C19 furnishings with remains of C16 bench end. Fine quality circa C15 Catacleuse stone font similar to that in Church of St Petroc, Padstow (qv); round bowl with 12 carved figures of apostles and carved angels on corners; round central shaft with 4 octagonal corner shafts. Plaster Royal coat of arms, by John Abbot in 1662 for Thomas Peter of Harlyn House (qv); restored 1981. MONUMENTS: include those of John Mitchell and family 1617; William Trevathvan of Porthcothen, 1695 and Henry Peter 1821. Stocks dated 1788 in porch. (SOURCES: Pevsner N and Radcliffe E: The Buildings of England: Cornwall: 2nd edition: 1970-; Truro District Sites and Monuments Register-:)

Listing NGR: SW8864174141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397263
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09880/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Winch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].