Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213550.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:24:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


BEDINGFIELD TM 16 NE 4/14 Church of St Mary 29.7.55


Parish church. Medieval, restored 1871-2. Vestry dated 1834. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble, the nave heightened in red brick; the chancel and south nave are rendered. Plaintiled roof to nave, slates to chancel. Square tower in 2 phases. The lower stage, probably C13, has coursed rubblework and is unbuttressed; unmoulded west doorway with pointed arch. Late C14 upper stage: diagonal buttresses with chequer flushwork, crenellated parapet; 2-light belfry openings, 2 with incomplete tracery. Fabric of lower nave walls may be contemporary with lower half of tower. The windows are C15 insertions: a good 3-light south-east window and a circular south-west window with cinquefoil cusping; the 3 other windows are square-headed and considerably restored. Moulded south doorway, unmoulded north doorway, both with medieval doors. To the east of the south doorway is a trefoil-headed niche. Late C14 south porch, faced in knapped flint to south and east; moulded entrance arch; restored 2-light side windows. Original roof with incomplete pierced tracery to the king-post braces and with evidence for similar tracery, now lost, above the tie beams. Chancel has 2 C15 square-headed south windows and a simple Priest's doorway; to the north, a single lancet window. C19 3-light east window in Perpendicular style. Interior. 8-bay double hammerbeam nave roof of c.1500 with moulded cornice, purlins and ridge piece. Chancel roof has embattled cornice, the remainder ceiled over. Trefoil-headed piscina in south chancel. Arched doorway to rood stair in north-east nave. Font has C15 octagonal bowl, the panels carved with simple traceried designs; older square shaft with columns at the angles. Nave has set of 21 early C17 benches with poppyhead ends, re-using mutilated C15 poppyhead ends against the walls. Some of the bench backs are also medieval, including 2 with traceried panels. Rest of nave benches together with chancel stalls, pulpit and lectern are all of C19 date. Hatchment to a member of the Bedingfield family on south chancel wall. Framed Arms of Victoria over tower arch. East window has stained glass of 1856.

Listing NGR: TM1798768790


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08170/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].