BERE COURT AND BERE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1213565
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
BERE COURT AND BERE HOUSE, BERE COURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BERE COURT AND BERE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 21:46:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
BERE COURT AND BERE HOUSE, BERE COURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pangbourne
National Grid Reference:
SU 61630 75016

Details

SU 67 NW PANGBOURNE BERE COURT ROAD (north-west side)

2/44 Bere Court And Bere House (formerly listed as Bere Court) 25.10.51 G.V. I House, now 2. Founded circa C13 with alterations in the C16 and circa 1670, refaced circa mid C18, and circa 1820 additions to west. Stone with red brick facing and rendered plinth. Hipped old tile roof with central flat roofed square. Square plan. 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, plat band to south; cornice, parapet, and 4 stacks. 5 dormers to east with segmental pediments except outer 2 with triangular pediments, 4 gabled dormers to south with 2-light casements, and 4 segmental headed dormers to west. North front: 7 bays with width differences, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and keystones. Central first floor round arched window with imposts and keystones. Central 6-panelled door, with 4 upper panels fielded and lower 2 flush, and radial fanlight. Doorcase consisting of 2 attached unfluted Doric columns supporting triglyph frieze and cornice. 6 bay east front with ground floor French casements and blind hoods. 8 bay south front with some blind windows, 2 central French casements, and 6-panelled door in third bay from left. Large arched staircase window to west. Former service wing to west: red brick with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Central ridge stack. 3 bays, glazing bar sashes with louvred shutters. Door in lower block to right. Interior: delicate decorative C18 plasterwork in entrance hall with medallions and festoons etc. 3 arches to south, C18 doorcases, and fireplace. Central mounting 3-flight fork staircase with C19 balustrade and C18 decorative wall plasterwork. Ground floor room with late C17 panelling and fireplace with carved surround and cornice. Central first floor room with C18 panelling and architraves. First floor room to south with C18 panelling, C18 fireplace, flat quadripartite C16 ceiling with moulded beams, and lately revealed but mutilated early C16 clunch fireplace and overmantel with cartouches and shells. Other rooms contain C18 panelling and fireplaces. Vaulted cellars. A section of stone vault rib used as rubble infil has recently been found (1983). This house was used as the residence of the Abbots of Reading, being especially favoured by the last, Hugh Faringdon. C18 drawings show outbuildings to east, possibly including the former chapel, which were demolished about 1820. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3, p.303; B.O.E, Berkshire, p.192; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.137.

Listing NGR: SU6163075016

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397996
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 303
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 137

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].