This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1213737



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Loddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LODDINGTON MAIN STREET SP 87 NW (north side) 5/42 Loddington Hall 25/10/51 GV II* House. c 1300, extended and remodelled c 1615, with additions in matching style, 1893. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone dressings, Collyweston and Welsh slate roofs. Plinth to front wings and porch, string courses to front wings, coped gables throughout, parapet to central 3 bays. Mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows throughout with flat hood moulds. Grouped gable and off-centre ridge stacks, plus smaller ridge stack, all stone. 2 storeys plus garrets, 5 bays. E-plan, originally an open hall. Near-symmetrical west front has a central 2-storey gabled porch with corniced Classical ashlar doorcase and 2-leaf panelled doors. Above it, a 3-light window. Beyond, on either side, a 3-light window and above them, single cross-eaves dormers with 3-light windows. Beyond again, single wings. Cross-gabled south wing has a 4-light window and above it a smaller 4-light window. In the return angle, a blocked 2-light window to the first floor and to the dormer above it. South side has 2 C19 casements flanked by single blocked windows. Above, central 4-light window flanked by single 3-light windows. Above again, in dormer to left and gable to right, a 3-light window. Gabled north wing has a 4-light window to west and above it, a larger 4-light window. Above again, a smaller 3-light window. Return angle has a C19 roll moulded 4-light Gothic casement and above it, a similar 3-light window. Above again, a dormer with a 2-light window. North side has a large external chimney breast and to its left a 2-light cellar window and above it, 3 C19 casements. Above again, a C19 cross casement and a dormer with a C17 cross casement. Multi-gabled C19 rear addition has irregular plan with wings to north and south and to north east, an L-plan single storey service range enclosing a service courtyard. Interior has a noteworthy smoke blackened principal rafter roof, c 1300, with double tie-beams, passing brace and part of a central base cruck. North end has an early C17 3-flight dogleg staircase, restored C19, with moulded handrail and shaped splat balusters to stairs and landing. Fielded panelled dado, C18. Central hall has framed panelling with chip- carved frieze, mainly C17, restored late C19. C17 fluted and carved oak pilasters to doorcase, with mock capitals. On the long side, an off- centre early C17 ashlar fireplace with strapwork,restored C19. South wing first floor has a mid C18 oak staircase with moulded handrail and vase and stem balusters. First floor bedroom has C18 moulded wood Classical fireplace with ornamental panel. Dressing room above porch has full height moulded panelling. North wing basement has a C17 moulded cross-beamed ceiling and a segmental pointed fireplace opening with diamond keystone dated 1615. North and south wing garrets have each a 4-centred arched stone fireplace. Other rooms have mainly C19 fireplaces, fielded 2-panel and 5-panel doors. Loddington Hall was constructed by Robert Le Baud, then in charge of Royal works at Geddington, c 1290-1300. It was remodelled by the Syers family c 1615 and passed in 1660 to the Kynnesman family. In the mid C20 it was used as a school and as a training centre. There are plans to convert it to flats, 1987. Sources; RCHM unpublished survey notes. Verbal notes from J Heward Pevsner

Listing NGR: SP8138578433

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)

National Grid Reference: SP 81385 78433


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 03:22:38.

End of official listing