CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1214007
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
17-May-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET NORTH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214007.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:26:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stewkley
National Grid Reference:
SP 85211 26104

Details

SP 82 NE STEWKLEY HIGH STREET NORTH (east side)

4/106 Church of St. Michael

19.8.59

- I

Parish church. Mid C12 nave, central tower and chancel, C19 S. porch, vestry 1910. Chancel roof rebuilt 1844, remainder restored by G.E. Street 1862. Coursed lime and ironstone rubble, dressed stone quoins and C19 buttresses, tiled roofs. Romanesque. Sill course with zig-zag ornament, corbel table with rectangular corbel blocks, some with carved heads, round arched windows with chevron ornament to arch and jambs. W. wall of nave has triple arcade of moulded arches with chevron ornament on plain shafts and piers with carved caps. Outer arches are blind, taller central arch has door and 2 additional bands of chevron, the inner continued down the jambs, the outer on spiral shafts with carved caps. 2 small arches cut up into tympanum with carved winged figures. - One window above to centre, round window with chevron ornament in gable. Nave has 2 bays of windows to E., W. bay has much restored doorways with chevron arches on shafts. N. door has outer band of stepped ornament and carved caps and impost blocks. S. door has outer band of ball ornament with carved figure at left end. C19 porch has chevron arch on paired shafts. Tower has arched windows to N. and S., small slit windows above. Blind arcaded frieze to bell-chamber with interlaced chevron arches on engaged shafts, central arch open and louvred. C19 plain parapet, carved gargoyles to corners and centres of each side. C14 square projection for stair turret at N.E, corner. Chancel of one bay has elaborate C19 buttresses with shafts. E. wall has triple arcade with paired shafts flanking central window, outer panels blind. Arches have chevron and rosette ornament, and plain shafts with scalloped caps. Slit window in gable. Interior: Sill course with zig-zag ornament, windows with chevron to arch and jambs. Tower and chancel arches have inner order of beakhead ornament and outer order of chevron, both on plain shafts with carved or scalloped capitals. Outer bands of chevron, that of tower arch terminating in carved heads. Nave and tower have C19 roofs, chancel has groin vault with chevroned ribs on shafts with scalloped capitals; reconstructed soffits have C19 painted scroll ornament. Recess in S. wall of chancel has pointed chamfered arch with hoodmould. Sedilia has original shaped stone armrest. Early C20 arch to vestry, C19 aumbry and tiles to E. wall. Fittings: C12-C13 tub font on moulded steps; panel on N, wall of chancel has fragments of C14-C15 carving with partly painted stone figures of Virgin and Child,anaels and half-figure of man; C19 Neo-Romanesque pulpit; W. gallery designed by G.F, Bodley 1908; E. window has glass of 1844; other fittings C19 or early C20.

RCHM II p. 275-7

Listing NGR: SP8521026102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
398588
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03434/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].