CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214127.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:13:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 57600 31650
SOUTH HEREFS DC 5147
HEREFORD & WORCESTER
SO 53 SE BALLINGHAM CP
2/1 Church of St Dubricius
Parish church. C13 to C15, restored 1884-5 by W E Martin. Sandstone rubble, sandstone ashlar and dressings with Welsh slate roofs, tiled ridge and sand- stone spire. West tower, three-bay nave, two-bay chancel and south porch. Tower is C14, has battered plinth and fillet-moulded string above, three stages divided by strings, plain parapet, recessed octagonal spire with moulded finial beneath large weathercock; central loops to lowest stages, one trefoiled and chamfered opening to each side of bell-chamber, pig-like and mouse-like grotesque waterspouts from centre of string beneath parapet on west and south side respectively, gabled ogee-headed opening onto parapet from south base of spire; memorial on north wall to six men of parish killed in 1914-18 War inscribed peculiarly, "THEY LOVED NOT THEIR LIVES UNTO DEATH". Nave has small lancet to right-hand side of north wall and two pairs of C19 trefoiled lancets, one to centre and one to left; in the south wall is another pair of C19 trefoiled lancets to the right, to the centre, next to the porch, a restored C14 square- headed window of three lights each with an ogeed and trefoiled head and small spandrel lights. Chancel has one cinquefoiled and trefoiled 2-light C19 window, under a square head with quatrefoil tracery to north and one to south wall, restored east window with 2-centred head and three ogeed and trefoiled lights; to the west end of the south wall is a blocked chamfered C14 priest's doorway with a 2-centred head. South porch is early C15 with parapet, moulded plinth and strings, two diagonal buttresses to front with off-sets and trefoiled panels; deeply moulded 2-centred arch in a square head with spandrels in which are shields set in quatrefoils and mouchettes, above are the remains of black-letter inscription noted by RCHM; central niche with 2-centred head interrupting coping of parapet; each side wall has a pair of trefoiled openings under square head and label above, slightly to the south of which is a plain tapered waterspout projecting from string beneath parapet; inside are stone side benches and square diagonal rib vault springing from part-circular moulded corbels to a restored rosette at the apex; south doorway is C15 with moulded jambs and a 2-centred head, to its east is a rustic cast iron shoe-scraper, probably mid- C19. Interior has wagon roofs to nave and chancel, the former, perhaps C14 with scissor braces above collars; the latter C19. Chancel is divided from nave by C19 screen above which is plank and muntin panelling probably C16 or C17 with two rows of muntins with straight-cut chamfer stops; C19 recess in north wall has two trefoiled openings separated by a column. C19 octofoil drain in cill of south window, late C19 marble reredos, floor slab set in south wall for Sir John Scudamore Bart and Kt of the Honble Order of the Bath, died 1684 has achievement set in laurel wreath and palmettes to corners; brass plaque with intaglio enamelled lettering in red and black for Helen Jane Essyllt Jenkins, wife of Rector of Parish, died Constantinople 1903, by Newby of Cardiff; pair of altar baluster candlesticks in brass inscribed: "Presented to Ballingham Church by Mrs Fisher, December 1918". Nave has low chamfered 3- centred doorway into tower, font perhaps C13 with chamfered circular base, cylindrical stem and octagonal bowl curved on undersides; early C17 pulpit is part octagonal, paired arch-motifs with guilloche ornament to each of the three sides, upper panels of sides have arabesques, lower panels are plain, north panel has crowned pilaster figure, probably C19, attached to end; on the top of pulpit is late C19 brass book rest with quatrefoil decoration bearing a pair of hinged sconces; above doorway to tower and black and white marble pedimented wall monument of William Scudamore, died 1649, in an austere design with achievement at the top, conches at the bottom and Ionic side columns, oddly presenting volute faces of their capitals to subsidiary north and south sides; also on west wall memorial to benefaction of £200 by James Lord Viscount Scudamore made in 1716 by the impropriation of tithes; to east of south door a sandstone plaque for John Nourse, died 1735 has blond painted head in the centre of swagged top; on north wall, memorial to W R Jenkins, died 1909 in bronze inscribed, "RECTOR OF THIS PARISH 1883-1902/ IN GRATEFUL RECOGNITION OF/ HIS GENEROUS GIFT OF £200 TOWARDS/ THE RESTORATION OF THIS CHURCH IN 1885"; memorial to Arthur Henry Tickle, died 1938; also on north wall; red marble frame with gilt tesserae to margin of inscription which concludes "TO LIVE IN THE HEARTS OF THOSE WE LOVE IS NOT TO DIE"; late C19 harmonium by W Bell & Co of Guelph, Canada, in mahogany with elaborate music stand and pedal with cast iron plaque with raised lettering: "PAT'D FEB 24, 1887/ MOUSE PROOF PEDAL". (BoE p 71; RCHM Vol I, p 21-2).
Listing NGR: SO5760031650
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 21-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 71
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing