ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY NEW HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1214142
Date first listed:
24-May-1983
Statutory Address:
ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY NEW HALL, GREYCOAT STREET SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY NEW HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 22:44:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY NEW HALL, GREYCOAT STREET SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29633 78987

Details

TQ 2978 NE and 2979 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREYCOAT STREET, SW1 100/25 ;105/1 24.5.83 Royal Horticultural society New Hall __ II* Exhibition hall. 1923-28 by Murray Easton and Howard Robertson. Brown brick and stone entrance administrative block behind which is the innovatory concrete framed exhibition hall with brick infill. The forebuilding has an early stripped-classical modern facade. 5 storeys including mezzanines to 1st and 4th floors. 6-window wide centre between slightly advanced end bays. Ground floor of centre, with range of glazed doorways at head of steps and mezzanine above, are advanced in segmental curve and are both stone faced. The brick faced stone banded upper floors have plain stone surrounds to range of windows with metal casements. Block cornice finishes off front above top mezzanine. The hall behind has blind side walls above which are 4 tiers of stepped-back clerestories. The interior exposes the structural reinforced concrete frame of tall parabolic arches which begin as square piers; flat roofed top-lit aisles, clerestories and domed top lights; 3 tall lights with 2 transoms in north east end wall. No doubt Easton was more particularly responsible for the introduction of this form of construction, the first of its kind in Britain, derived from Scandinavian timber construction of the early 1920s- Max Berg's 1922 exhibition pavilion at Breslau and more particularly the reinforced concrete work of Hennebique and Freyssinet (Orly airship hangars 1921 etc.)

Listing NGR: TQ2963378987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].