Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214166.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:05:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 54078 61008



SK5461 CHURCH SIDE 924-1/6/29 (North East side) 19/12/55 Church of St Peter and St Paul


Parish church. West tower late C12, raised C14, spire 1666, restored 1897. North aisle C13 and C14. Nave C14. Clerestorey, south aisle north and south chapels and transept C15. Chancel c1475, incorporating C12 fragments. North and south porches C19. Vestry c1905. Restored C19. MATERIALS: coursed rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and leaded and plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, impost band and crenellated parapets. Vestry has moulded plain parapet, porches have coped gables. Chancel east end has flush side chapels, each with a diagonal buttress. Central 5-light pointed-arch window with Decorated tracery flanked by single 3-light pointed-arch windows with Perpendicular tracery, all with hoodmoulds and stops. South chapel has to south a flat-headed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. North chapel has a central pointed arched door with hoodmould and stops, flanked by stepped single buttresses. Beyond, to east, a 2-light, and to west a 3-light window, both with flat heads. Single-storey vestry, to east, has clerestorey roof and to south, 2 flat-headed plain 3-light windows. In the return angle, a porch with door to east and single window to south. Nave clerestorey has on each side 4 restored flat-headed 3-light windows. South transept has a 3-light pointed arch window with Perpendicular tracery to south and a similar flat-headed 2-light window to east. South aisle, 4 bays, has 3 flat-headed 3-light windows with Reticulated tracery, the smaller one to west of the porch with less tracery. West end has a 4-light pointed arch window. North aisle, 4 bays, has to east a 3-light pointed-arch window with Decorated tracery, then to west a 2-light pointed-arch window, and beyond the porch, a single lancet, all with hoodmoulds. West end has a 3-light pointed-arch window with Perpendicular tracery. North and south porches have flanking buttresses and moulded pointed-arched doorways with shafts, hoodmoulds and stops, and wooden gates. On either side, double lancets. Arch braced roofs and moulded doorways with hoodmoulds, that to north flanked by tomb slabs. Square unbuttressed west tower, 3 stages, has string courses and crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Ground stage has to west a round-arched doorway with hoodmould, and above it, a small round-arched window. Second stage has on 3 sides a round-arched double bell opening with round shafts and waterleaf capitals. Bell stage has on each side a 2-light pointed-arch bell opening with hoodmould. Set back octagonal spire has a single tier of pedimented lucarnes, ball finial and weathercock. INTERIOR: double chamfered chancel arch with clustered responds and hoodmould. Low pitched renewed roof with moulded beams, panelled ceiling and bosses. Arch braces on corbels. East end has sill band and stained-glass window by Kempe, 1905, flanked to right by an ogee headed door. Elaborate corniced reredos. North and south sides have 2 chamfered pointed arches with half-octagon responds and C19 Perpendicular style traceried screens, with leaded glass in the west bays. South side has to east a chamfered pointed piscina and elliptical arched aumbry. Side chapels have renewed low pitched lean-to roofs with arch braces and traceried spandrels. South chapel has stained-glass east window, 1875, flanked by ogee-headed door to left, and to right by an incised slab to a priest, c1280. South side has an elliptical arched piscina, and the north side a squint. Transept contains organ in Baroque-style case. North chapel of St George has traceried panelled reredos, c1918, and stained-glass east window, C19. North-west window has stained glass, 1912. Nave has 4-bay arcades with tall slender square piers with demi-shafts with fillets, double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and mask stops. Renewed low pitched roof with arch braces on corbels. West end has late C12 rebated tower arch with square responds, and above it, a large round-arched opening. Tower chamber has splayed corner with round-arched doorway, and west window with stained glass, 1900. Aisles have renewed roofs with traceried spandrels, internal porches, and at their east ends, double chamfered arches with Perpendicular style traceried wooden screens. South aisle has to east a chamfered C13 piscina and square aumbry, and above them a stained-glass window, c1870. To west, a segment-arched tomb recess with a male figure c1300, and above it, a stained-glass window c1889. South-west and west windows have stained glass c1890. North aisle has 2 windows flanking the porch with stained glass c1872, and north east window with stained glass, 1902. FITTINGS: C19 round ashlar pulpit with alabaster dressings, chamfered square ashlar font with marble shafts, and brass eagle lectern. C19 plain stalls and benches with mayor's pew with crest and motto. MONUMENTS: numerous brasses, early C17 to early C19. Restored painted stone inscribed tablet with scroll top and crest in oval cartouche, 1634. Charity board c1670. Mid C18 double tablet with scrolls and cornice. 4 marble and slate tablets, late C18 and early C19. Segment headed war memorial tablet, c1918. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 168).

Listing NGR: SK5407761010

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 168
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12974/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].