ST LEONARDS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1214180

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1970

Statutory Address: ST LEONARDS HOUSE, ST LEONARDS GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST LEONARDS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 10:06:30.

Location

Statutory Address: ST LEONARDS HOUSE, ST LEONARDS GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 47925 61898

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE ST LEONARD'S GATE 1685-1/7/285 (North side) 18/02/70 St Leonard's House

GV II

Furniture factory, later used by university, now offices. 1881-2, extended early C20 and altered 1964. For Gillow and Company. Squared coursed sandstone with slate roof. 4 storeys plus attic, with basement entered from rear. Original block of long rectangular plan, of 11 bays, parallel with the road. The windows are timber casements with glazing bars and are paired, separated by a stone mullion, in vertical-rectangular openings with projecting sills. On the 1st floor there is a sill band. The right-hand bay on the ground floor has only one window opening: at the right is the entrance to Sugar House Alley. The attic storey has continuous clerestory lighting of timber casements with glazing bars under a slate roof. At the left a lift tower projects upwards from the front wall. The early C20 addition at the left is canted back to follow the line of the road. It is of 10 bays separated by black-painted concrete columns and has timber windows of 4 x 4 panes (4 x 3 on the 4th floor) with painted brick panels below their sills. The 2 right-hand bay on the ground floor are occupied by the entrance and by a window opening added in 1964. The addition also has clerestory lighting to the attic storey, but in front of bays 5-7 is a flat-roofed brick projection rising above the main eaves line. INTERIOR: altered by the addition of suspended ceilings, floor coverings, and partition walls. HISTORY: built together with a showroom on North Road, now Waring and Gillow's Showroom (qv), this building formed the main part of Gillow's furniture factory. In 1961 the firm closed its factory and the building was converted for use by the University of Lancaster while their campus at Bailrigg was being built. Subsequently it was used as an Adult Education College and as offices.

Listing NGR: SD4792561898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 383319

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing