CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1214866
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214866.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 08:50:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kelston
National Grid Reference:
ST 69902 66909

Details

ST 66 NE KELSTON CHURCH ROAD (east side)

3/88 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

1.2.56 II

G.V.

Anglican parish church. C13 and C14; heavily restored and rebuilt 1860 by B. Ferrey. West tower, nave, north porch, south aisle, chancel and vestry. Rubble with freestone dressings; snecked and squared rubble to nave and chancel; slate roofs with coped raised verges. West tower is probably C13 with a saddleback roof behind a plain parapet; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses; moulded stringcourse with gargoyles; on the ground floor is a 2-light cusped lancet window with a cusped hexagonal light above; single and 2-light windows to bell stage. North porch is gabled with angle buttresses; double hollow chamfered outer doorway (restored) under a hoodmould with square stops. Nave: 3-light C19 Perpendicular style windows. Chancel: C19 windows, lancets to the sides and 3-light Geometrical style east window. South aisle has three 2-light windows with cusped heads. The north door is studded with strap hinges in a chamfered and depressed ogee-headed surround. Interior: 1860's 3 bay south arcade in an early Gothic style; C13 tower arch is double chamfered. Font, probably C18, ashlar, octagonal bowl with a band of quatrefoils, gadrooned base. The pulpit, roof and other fittings are all 1860's and later. Glass: north- east nave window has C14 borderwork and other fragments, foreign, with an oval medallion, an angel on a blue background and the upper part of St. John the Evangelist; south-west chancel window has a C14 French figure of St. Barbara holding a tower; north-west chancel window has a C15 Low Countries' panel of St. Anthony holding a staff and with a pig; tower, John the Baptist baptising Christ with a tower in the background. Monuments. In the chancel is a substantial fragment of a Saxon cross with interlace on two sides. Tower: inscribed oval plaque to Marie Smith, 1678, in elaborate surround with drapery; Griffin Smith, 1681, square plaque and further oval plaque of 1693. South aisle: Sir Caesar Hawkins, died 1800, inscribed marble plaque with urn finial; other inscribed square plaques of late C18 - early C19 to Hawkins and Inigo-Jones families. Nave: Hudleston hatchment; Royal Arms, 1860; various Hudleston monuments, mostly square inscribed plaques, particularly John died 1749, Lawson died 1743, Charlotte died 1821 and William died 1766 with a triglyph frieze; Lady Diones Harington, died 1674, and John Harington died 1674, both baroque plaques with arms. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1946).

Listing NGR: ST6990266909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399748
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01643/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].