CHURCH OF ST TYSILIO
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST TYSILIO
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214929.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:09:25.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST TYSILIO
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 56535 27659
SO 52 NE; 4/130
SELLACK CP, Church of St Tysilio
(Previously listed as Parish Church of St Tesiliog)
Parish church. C12 to C14 with C17 and C19 alterations. Sandstone rubble and ashlar, Welsh and stone slate roofs and sandstone spire. West tower, continuous nave and chancel, remnant of north aisle to north-west corner of nave, central north preaching transept, north chapel, north-east vestry and south porch.
West tower is mid-C13 of three stages externally undivided on an unusually deep battered and moulded plinth about eight feet high, angle buttress at east end of south side at junction with nave, recessed octagonal spire with roll mouldings at angles, broached in stone slate to corners of tower; at base of spire one gabled central 2-light opening with 2-centred arch to each cardinal face containing single quatrefoil tracery above the trefoil-headed and ogeed lights; south wall has square-headed opening above plinth and above the buttress a sundial inscribed SPV 1711; second stage has square-headed window in west wall; on north side above the plinth is a C17 doorway with a 2-centred head and a ledged studded door reached by stairs. North aisle has plinth, diagonal buttress with off-sets, its west window has moulded label, 2-centred head and three lights, two of which are cinquefoiled and the centre one trefoiled, blocked north window has two cinquefoil lights in Y-tracery and no label, roof is hipped. North transept has re-set restored 4-light cinquefoiled window with 2-centred head and label stops, plain deep plinth, diagonal buttresses, verge and gable cross. North chapel has window like the west window of north aisle, moulded plinth, weathered diagonal buttress to north-east, moulded cornice and hipped roof. Vestry is C19 with 2-light trefoiled east window and label stops. Chancel has high plain plinth up to 4-light trefoiled east window with 2-centred head. South wall of nave and chancel has, to the east of the porch, three evenly spaced square-headed windows of two trefoiled and ogeed lights with glazed spandrels, between the right and centre ones is a chamfered square-headed opening with C17 nail-studded priest's door, between the left and centre is a gabled 3-light C14 cinquefoil window, probably to light a former rood screen, with a 2-centred head projecting above eaves level, beneath it is a blocked window opening; to west of porch is another gabled window above a 2-light square-headed window, both are imitations, probably late C19, of the other windows to the east. South porch is C14 with diagonal weathered buttresses, 2-centrd double-chamfered outer arch, label, gable cross and a pair of 2-light square-headed ogeed and trefoiled openings, one to each return wall; inside are a pair of stone side benches, single- framed roof with six collar trusses, heavily worn water stoup on capital; C14 double-chamfered 2-centred south doorway with studded door, possibly C17; above the doorway a niche with cinquefoil head.
INTERIOR has continuous wagon roof with late C19 or early C20 panelling to nave and chancel; four-bay arcade separates nave and chancel from northern adjunctions, the west bay is C12 with semi-circular arch and scalloped capitals; the C19 centre two bays into north transept have 2-centred arches with double chamfers and foliated capitals; C13 eastern bay to north chapel has 2-centred arch with two chamfered orders, responds have attached shafts with moulded base and capitals. Chancel has stained glass in east window with date 1630, when it was probably assembled by Richard Scudamore whose monogram "Rs" appears with scenes of the Magi and Nativity; fragments of medieval glass in spandrels of easternmost window on south side; C17 panelled dado around east end; C17 communion rails project almost three yards from east end enclosing altar on three sides, stick balusters, with turned balusters and ball finials to corners and entry, top rail moulded on underside; south wall has wall monument to 14 from the parish killed in World War I and three in World War II; several other wall monuments to members of the Phelps and Ley families, late C18 to late C19, including one for William Henry Ley, 1815-87, parish priest for 46 years; brass cross on altar inscribed to Augustin Ley, 1842-1911. Nave has on south side at liturgical junction with chancel an early C17 pulpit, enclosed hexagon with matching door on one side, four rows of panels, the bottom plain, the next with circular interlace design, then blank arches with Ionic capitals and pilasters, frieze and scrolled brackets with acanthus decoration supporting projecting desk with chamfered zig-zag edge and stylised foliage; tester is octagonal, rather than hexagonal with turned pendants to angles, underside has eight moulded ribs converging on central rosette, sides have guilloche ornament and dentilled moulded cornice; to north of pulpit a desk perhaps C17 (obscured by Harvest Festival decoration at time of re-survey October 1985) with square panels and fluted borders; on north pier, dividing north chapel and north transept, a painted stone wall monument in form of aedicule for Helip Fox, died 1678, has twisted columns, Ionic capitals, broken pediment with cartouche-of-arms, acanthus brackets, skull and swags; south window immediately west of pulpit has stained glass, perhaps C15 with inscription " ... ? me fecit" in black-letter and Crucifixion; font is C19 or re-cut with octagonal base, circular stem and octagonal bowl with curved underside; western gallery is probably early C17, supported on three pilastered segmentally-headed bays with key pendants, gallery front has four square panels with square projections in the centre of each border; organ on gallery, given by Sir William Mather in 1899 and restored in 1924, has three bays, crocketted pinnacles and quatrefoil decoration with the inscription ALLELUIA/ PRAISE YE THE LORD/ ALLELUIA: on north side is wall monument for Thomas Farmer Turville, died 1824, in form of tapering sarcophagus on clawed feet with oval lid decorated with acanthus; tower doorway is low and chamfered with a 2-centred head. C19 vestry contains a C17 chest with square panels on lid, front and ends. North chapel entered from chancel through small 2-leaved doors constructed of Cl7 square panels, has C14 quadripartite rib vault rising from moulded corbels; square-headed 2-light east window like those in chancel, into vestry; beneath window is a recessed panel flanked by a pair of part- octagonal brackets. North transept is early C19 with 2-centred arch to east and west; south wall has benefactions board of 1823 above arcade; north window has stained glass for Edward Jones and family who died between 1787 and 1861, depicting the Ascension with inscriptions "Ye men of faith" and "Why stand ye gazing up into heaven"; large wall monument on west wall to Thomas Symonds and his wife, Penelope, died 1760 and 1771, by Thomas Symonds, died 1791, moulded surround with 2-centred head; stone pedestal, slate back panel, centre is marble with advanced open pediment containing three cherubs, life-sized bas-relief profile head with garland, extremely long incised eulogy, cartouche-of-arms; several other wall monuments to Dew, Powell, Gwillim and Prichard. North aisle has stained glass in west window, for members of Symonds family who died 1869 to 1877, depicting Faith, Hope and Charity with inscription "The greatest of these is Charity"; on north wall monument for William Powell, died 1680 in white marble with moulded base, scroll and cartouche-of-arms, above which is inscription and two cherubs pulling aside drapery to reveal an urn over a segmentally-pedimented baldacchino: on west wall other monuments to Turville, Powell and Crowther. The dedication of the Church to St Tysilio is, according to Pevsner, unique in England; the RCHM refers to the church as that of St Tesiliog.
Listing NGR: SO5653727662
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 234-6
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 279
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 286-7
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing