CHURCH OF ST MARK AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1214953
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL, NOTTINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARK AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214953.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:21:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL, NOTTINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 53770 60448

Details

MANSFIELD

SK5360 NOTTINGHAM ROAD 924-1/7/89 (West side) Church of St Mark and attached boundary wall

GV II*

Parish church. 1897. By Temple Moore. Uncoursed ashlar, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Perpendicular Revival style. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, eastern vestry and sacristy, south east tower, northern lady chapel, transverse west porch. Buttressed nave has at the east end a 5-light pointed arch window with Decorated tracery, and at the west end a simpler 4-light window, both with hoodmoulds and stops. South side has 4 segmental pointed arch 3-light windows, and north side has 3 similar windows. Triple gabled vestry, to east, has buttresses and 3 narrow 2-light windows. To south, a single lancet, and to north, a shouldered doorway. Square south-east tower, 2 stages, has battered plinth, string courses, and crenellated parapet. Square stair turret to east. Lower stage has, to south, 2 small windows one above the other. Bell stage has a small square headed 2-light bell opening on each side, with stone mullion. Gabled lady chapel has a single buttress on the north side, flanked to east by a small double lancet and to west by a much larger 4-light pointed arch window. East end has 3 small loops with louvres. West end has a 2-light point arch window with hoodmould and stops. Nave west end has a lean-to porch with 4 tall buttresses to west, and the end walls projecting. 5 small traceried 2-light pointed arch windows. North and south ends have sloped coping below the gable, and a central chamfered pointed arched door with hoodmould, flanked by single small lancets. INTERIOR: 5-bay arcades with square ashlar piers and rendered plain pointed arches, with lower inner arches. Narrow side passages with round arches. Close boarded roof with moulded arch braces, corbels and wall plate. East end has a screen wall with wide central pier flanked by single pointed arches with traceried wooden screens. Chancel arcades have similar screens. Stained-glass east window probably by Kempe. North-east and south-east windows have stained glass c1920 and c1890. West end has screen wall with central octagonal pier flanked by large pointed arches. Plain west window. Vestry and sacristy have dividing arches springing from the screen wall, and side passages with small stained-glass windows, 1904 and 1965. 2 east windows have stained glass, 1907, and the central window has fragments of medieval glass. Lady chapel has panelled dado and panelled wooden reredos with text. Wooden aumbry and ogee-headed piscina. West end has wooden sedilia. West window has stained glass, 1927, and north windows have stained glass 1922 and late C20. West porch has lean-to roof with arch braces and corbels. Canted internal porch at each end. To west, stained-glass windows, 1916 and 1917, probably by Kempe, and others mid C20. FITTINGS: altar, reredos, crucifix and canopy, probably by Leslie Moore. Inscribed octagonal panelled font, traceried octagonal wooden pulpit, good quality brass eagle lectern, traceried stalls and sedilia, all C19. Chairs throughout. MEMORIALS: wooden war memorial plaque, c1918. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached boundary wall to south, coursed squared stone with ramped half-round coping. Pair of square gate piers with square domed caps. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 169).

Listing NGR: SK5377060448

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391739
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 169
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38759

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/11299/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].