CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1215129
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ST JOHN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215129.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:08:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ST JOHN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 53495 61340

Details

MANSFIELD

SK5361 ST JOHN STREET 924-1/5/105 (North side) 17/03/78 Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II

Parish church. 1855-56, north porch 1906. Designed by HI Stevens. Built by Charles Lindley of Mansfield. Paid for mainly by Henry Gally Knight, author of Ecclesiastical Architecture of Italy. Mansfield and Ancaster stone ashlar, with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs with coped gables. Gothic Revival style. Plinth, sill band, string course, buttresses. PLAN: chancel, nave with clerestorey and aisles, porches, vestry, and west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: chancel, 3 bays, has coped gable with cross and wavy pierced balustrades, and gabled buttresses to east end and south side. East end has traceried 5-light pointed-arch window. South side has 3 traceried 2-light pointed-arch windows with a segment-arched door under the central one. All the windows have hoodmoulds and stops. Blank north side has lean-to vestry with coped gables and to north, a flat-headed 2-light window flanked to west by a moulded double doorway with shafts and hoodmould. Nave has pilaster buttresses to clerestorey, chamfered eaves with fleurons, and on either side, 5 pairs of 2-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and stops. South aisle, 5 bays, has off-centre porch flanked to west by a 2-light pointed-arch window and to east by two 3-light, then a single 2-light pointed-arch windows. East and west ends have a single 4-light pointed arch window with Geometrical tracery to east and flowing tracery to west. All have hoodmoulds and stops. Gabled angle buttress at each end. North aisle, of similar design, has porch in the same position, and 3-light pointed arch window with flowing tracery at west end. East end blank. Gabled south porch has flanking buttresses, plain parapet and frieze with fleurons. Moulded doorway with double shafts and hoodmould with ballflowers. On either side, a flat-headed 2-light window. Smaller hipped north porch has plain square headed doorway to west. Central west tower, 3 stages, has stepped buttresses, string courses, gargoyles and pierced balustrade. Buttressed octagonal stair turret to south west, with trefoil frieze and spire with ball finial. Ground stage has to west a moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould, and above it, a traceried 4-light pointed arch window. North and south sides have single lancets with hoodmoulds. Middle stage has a single lancet on 3 sides. Bell stage has two louvred 2-light bell openings on each side with linked hoodmoulds. Set-back octagonal broach spire has patterned string courses, ball finial and weathercock. 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes on alternate faces. INTERIOR: chancel has triple moulded arch with hoodmould, painted text and filleted shafts with foliage capitals. Sill band and scissor braced roof. East end has elaborate full width stone reredos with depressed ogee arches, flanked by single larger gabled niches. Stained-glass window, 1870. South side has central door and 3 stained-glass windows, 1869, 1875, 1880. North side has pointed-arched central doorway flanked to left by a pointed-arched organ opening with tracery and central shaft. To right, a pointed-arched canopied niche with shafts, containing a panel with the Beatitudes. Nave has arch braced roof with wooden shafts on foliage corbels. Enriched clerestorey sill band. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double moulded arches with hoodmoulds, stops and painted texts. West end has tall segmental pointed tower arch dying into responds. Good quality stained-glass west window, 1905. South aisle has arch braced lean-to roof with wall shafts. At the east end Lilley Memorial Chapel, 1926, with stained-glass east window, 1853. Eastern windows have stained glass, 1855 and 1870. To west, pointed arched doorway flanked by stained-glass windows 1960 and 1955. North aisle has similar roof. Pointed arched north door and opening at east end containing organ pipes. South porch has moulded inner doorway with shafts, hoodmould and stops. FITTINGS: traceried panelled square font with corner shafts, and similar shafts to the stem. Traceried octagonal wooden pulpit dated 1886. Wooden eagle lectern, stalls, desks and benches with ogee tracery and panelled fronts, all C19. MEMORIALS: wooden war memorial plaque with bronze tablet, c1918. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 168-169; Mellors EW: A History of the Parish Church of St John the Evangelist: 1930-).

Listing NGR: SK5349561340

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391760
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mellors, E W , A History of the Parish Church of St John the Evangelist, (1930)
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979)
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27077

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/11299/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].