Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215255.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:56:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SK 15256 75774


SK 1575; 7/14


Church of St John the Baptist




Church. C14, restored in 1873 by J D Sedding. Coursed gritstone with ashlar dressings, lead covered pitched roofs, with coped gables to transepts, chancel, and above chancel arch, which also carries C19 bellcote. West tower, south porch, north and south aisles and transepts, nave with clerestory, chancel and sacristy.

Two-stage tower with angle buttresses to first stage, bell stage with embattled parapet. Octagonal corner towers with crocketed pinnacles, and between towers, crocketed pinnacles rise from parapet. Bell stage has coupled pointed arched opening with transomed Y-tracery below hoodmoulds. Shallow corbel-table above window heads has moulded string course above, surmounted by parapet. Tall Perp 5-light west window with panel tracery above west door, with pointed arched head. Small rectangular lights to upper part of first stage and clock to south wall. Two-storey porch with diagonal stepped buttresses, pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and embattled parapet above moulded string course. Narrow lancets light first floor. North and south aisles of four bays rise from triple-stepped plinth which continues around the building. Aisle windows of three lights with curvilinear tracery with moulded string course and embattled parapet above. Aisle bays delineated by stepped buttresses terminating at the string course. Three-light clerestory windows of two lights with ogee heads supporting a quatrefoil, beneath a hoodmould. String course above, and embattled parapet. North and south transepts, each of two bays, with stepped diagonal buttresses and pinnacles. Parapets with embattled centres, behind which rise the coped gables of the transepts. Tall, 5-light north and south windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and side wall windows of three lights, all with bold curvilinear tracery. Four-bay chancel with tall straight-headed 3-light windows, nearly Perp, but with quatrefoils on trefoils which link the mullions. These windows clearly post date the flowing tracery of the transepts, but appear contemporary with the curvilinear tracery of the tall east window. The chancel bays are defined by stepped buttresses, those to the south wall with pinnacles and blind tracery to buttress faces. Almost semicircular headed priests doorway with planked and studded door to south wall, and niches to south transept buttresses. Pointed arched doorway to north aisle with panelled oak door and hoodmould which rises from the upper-most moulding of the stepped plinth.

INTERIOR: tall Perp tower arch with ribbed vaulting below bell chamber. Tower screen by J Oldred Scott, 1904. Ribbed vaulting to south porch and plain doorway to chamber above. Medieval font with octagonal bowl and fluted stem on a circular base. Bowl decorated with quatrefoil, chalice, shield and book devices, Four-bay nave with arches rising almost to clerestory. Nave piers of unusual quatrefoil section with similar moulding to chancel arch imposts. Arches to two bay transepts are wider than nave arches. North transept has east wall niches, and two defaced effigies of unknown females, C12 and C13, together with surviving former chancel stalls with misericords. Organ by Foster & Andrews of Hull, 1895. South transept with piscina to east wall, with ogee head and quatrefoils above, and an ogee headed aumbry to south wall. Stone effigies of Sir Thurstan De Bower, d.1423, and his lady on chest tomb, restored in 1873. Hatchments between windows to Meverill and Statham families and aedicule wall monument to Thomas Statham. King-post roof trusses to nave and transepts with arched braces from wall posts to tie-beam soffits and from tie beam to king post give ogee form, with cusped curved braces rising from principal rafters to purlin soffits. Arch braces from king posts support ridge. Chancel arch with C14 timber screen and gates and with canopy of 1883. Evidence of steps to former rood loft on chancel arch wall, west face, and of earlier roof line on east face. Stone reredos with embattled parapet has canoped niches with crockets and encloses sacristy at east end. Canopied niches on east wall flank Tree of Jesse east window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1875. Ogee headed piscina and triple sedilia with ogee heads and quatrefoils to spandrels to south wall. Double-blind ogee arches to north wall. Brasses to Sir John Foljamb, d.1383 (restored) and to Bishop Robert Purseglove, d.1579, depicted in pre-Reformantion vestments. Chest tomb to Sir Sampson Maverill d.1462, restored in 1876.

One of the most important of the county's medieval parish churches in which the development of the Decorated style and the emergence of the Perpendicular Style in Derbyshire is clearly illustrated.

Listing NGR: SK1525675774


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Nov 2005
Reference: IOE01/14356/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Wolfe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].